Wheel adapters

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Yeret

The Village Drunk
Reaction score
Under the hood fixing/breaking something.
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 Magnum
I'm gonna make this short and sweet. I'm currently spinning a set of American Racing Nitro rims and love 'em. But, the center bores are too big and don't fit the hub lips. So basically, they're riding on the lug nuts which hasn't given me any problems, but all the truck's weight sitting on just the lug nuts doesn't strike me as a good thing in theory.

Soo, I've been looking at adapters to give the rims a lip to ride on and this Motorsport Tech (Wheel Adapters, Wheel Spacers, Hub Rings, and much more! | Motorsport Tech) seems to be a good manufacturer (I know that these guys were recommended by a few guys on another forum, but I can't remember for the life of me where...).

However, I've read that spacers and adapters cause exponentially increased wear on the hub bearings. Since I'm rolling on presumably original hubs, this could definitely be a problem. Plus, a set of adapters to fit my needs is gonna set me back about $300.

I do really like the look of "spaced" wheels on a truck (especially with a lift) so to me, they'd be worth the price of admission.

I guess what I'm asking is if anyone here is spinning spacers/adapters or has any input in regards to using them.

I suppose it'd be cheaper overall to just throw my 3rd gen 17's back on (they do fit my hub lips perfectly) but I really do like these 'Merican Racings! The Nitros have also been discontinued, which I suppose might give them a uniqueness factor.

dapepper9

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L V8
1-1.5" isn't horrible. Does it put more wear on things? Yes but no more than bigger tires and more offset wheels. If you get em be sure to properly torque em and retorque after 50 or 100 miles or whatever it is. I can't remember the interval.

I wouldn't put more offset wheels and bigger tires WITH spacers tho. That's asking for trouble. One or the other lol

R.L.K.

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 4X4 QC Express 6 speed auto 355 differentials
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Spacers are fine so long as you install them properly.
I ran spacers on my 97 Dodge 4x4 with 35s for 50k + when I traded my truck in on my 14 it had 275k+ on it on original hubs .
My spacers wer 1.5" Hub & wheel centric.
The important thing to do is Tq. Check them after 300 miles give or take until they DO NOT MOVE AT ALL ! Basically at gas fill up . Mine took 3 times for all lugs on all wheels for the torque to stabilize . Do Not use lock tight , you want them to be able to move when torque checking . This is a bit of a pain but if done properly you'll have no adverse issues .
Once all torques have stabilized you only need to tq check them again during tire rotations ( about 6000 miles ) or anytime you remove one for any reason . And if one moves @rotation then do the tq check procedures again until stabilized .
I put a small amount of antisiez on the contact surface of the spacer and the lug nut to prevent Gaulding of the dissimilar metals ( Do Not ) get the antisiez on the threads ! This is a dry tq. If you lube the threads with anything you increase the tq. Considerably and increase the risk of sheering off a lug .
If I remember the recommended tq was 110 foot lbs on my 97 it's 120-140'lbs on my 2014 Ram. . During the Tq. Check process do not loosen and then apply tq that is the definition of a retorque . It's important to know a Torque Check is to apply a specified tq. value in the tightening direction only , until the tq wrench clicks (use a tq wrench !)

Good luck , Post pictures and I hope this helps !

Last edited:

DodgeTx

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L Cummins, 5.2l v8
I had some american racing rims, with the same issue of it riding only on lug nuts. on some 33 inch coopers

This is just my experience, they rode fine for a long time, I went to prison for a tad over 2 years upon getting out I was driving my ram, Turned out of a costco with a bunch of groceries and heard a noise, I broke all but one of the lug studs on the driver rear.
Had her towed home, replaced all lug studs, didnt want to risk it again at highway speeds now that I have a young son.

I was lucky it was turning out of a parking lot.

Merc225hp

Reaction score
Ram Year
truck
Engine
gas
90% of the wheels out there are not hub centric they only ride on the studs. 30+ years of driving and this has never been a problem for me big tire or not. There are just hub centric rings out there if you are that worried about this. Spacers are not needed at all.