Wheel bearing noise ?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Lethalweapon100

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
V8 5.9 Magnum
So i just replaced a U joint but the squeak remains. Can a wheel bearing still be bad and make noise even if it spins fine and is tight as new?

brandonjansen

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Ram 3500 Laramie Limited
Engine
6.7 Cummins - Tuned and Deleted
A bad wheel bearing doesn't make a squeaking sound... A squeak is more likely to come from some sort of bushing. I'd be checking the sway bar links, shock bushings, spring seats, etc.

OP
OP
L

Lethalweapon100

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
V8 5.9 Magnum
Does it change with any steering input? Or road speed?
Yes, somewhat. Its less likely to do it if the wheel is turned either way. It really starts around 30MPH and then the sound will become much higher pitched around 55MPH and will not go away.

OP
OP
L

Lethalweapon100

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
V8 5.9 Magnum
A bad wheel bearing doesn't make a squeaking sound... A squeak is more likely to come from some sort of bushing. I'd be checking the sway bar links, shock bushings, spring seats, etc.
Really? Because its like a constant squeak. Not 100%, but it happens once every rotation of the wheels. My truck rides like a brick because the shocks are shot, could that be part of it?

OP
OP
L

Lethalweapon100

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
V8 5.9 Magnum
I can speak for my swaybar bushings, the bushing part (not the balljoint part) are absolutely ruin't. Shot. Could that be it?

BlackMagnum2000

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 Magnum
The way you describe it no. Being that you say it happens at a consistent rate, I'd say it is definitely something in the axle/driveline. I would start thinking of parts but honestly right now I'm just too caught up in putting my front end back together to think about someone else's. Sorry bud, I'll do some thinking tomorrow