Winch plate and bumper mount thickness

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

va_ram_1500

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.2 magnum
Hey guys I just ordered a move bumper. The whole thing is 3/16 in steel. Even the winch plate and mounting brackets. I do a lot of off roading and my winch gets used probably more than it should. Should I grab some 1/4 in thick steel and make my own brackets and winch plate or with the proper reinforcement, should the 3/16 do the trick. Thanks

bcbouy

Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 power wagon
Engine
hemi
do you do mostly straight line pulls and use snatch blocks alot? if so it should be fine.they more than likely did failure tests when they engineered the bumper anyway and it's probably got a rating on it somewhere.the weakest point will be your winch mounting bolts anyway.

jsmith

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hey guys I just ordered a move bumper. The whole thing is 3/16 in steel. Even the winch plate and mounting brackets. I do a lot of off roading and my winch gets used probably more than it should. Should I grab some 1/4 in thick steel and make my own brackets and winch plate or with the proper reinforcement, should the 3/16 do the trick. Thanks
I'd go with the 1/4" plate and extra reinforcement after Nightmares bent his
http://www.ramforum.com/f77/move_diy_front_winch_bumper-74928/index7.html

OP
OP
V

va_ram_1500

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.2 magnum
That's why I'm asking. I saw his bumper like crinkled after using a winch. But I mostly do straight line pulls but the snatch block does get some use.