Cracked dash advice & suggestions

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

moonramV10

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
V10
My 2001 Ram 2500 has the usual cracked dash issue.

There are about three companies making ABS plastic hard dash covers. Prices range from about $100 to $200.

Has anyone any recommendations or experience with any of these hard covers.

I do not want to install a Mopar OEM dash as too much work and same problem would likely occur down the road.

Thanks

Rustycowl69

Reaction score
Ram Year
2001 ram 3500
Engine
V10
I'm sorry, I don't have an answer for you, but I have a few questions. I, too, have an 01, but my dash is still ok. Where did your 01 spend most of its life? Am I correct in assuming this is UV/ heat related issue? Do you think a dash mat would save other 2nd Gen dash pads from damage?

MagSport

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
A plastic glue on pad does a lot of help for factory dashes as it acts as a brace more than a cover. Second I used lmc when I replaced my dash pad and bought a cloth cover to put on top of that as I really really didn't want to have to do that job again. Lmc has a good quality product, it's been over a year and I have yet to worry about any cracks or anything and the interior is still as quiet as it was when I replaced it.

NightMares

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I've got a plastic dash cover on mine. Came with the truck when I bought it. I'm afraid to see what it looks like underneath. Some of the corners have started to peel and the epoxy used is hideous as it is. My plan with my dash is a little extreme, but works for me. I plan on pulling the plastic cover off, sanding all the epoxy off and plastic welding any cracks, then actually wrapping it in vinyl.

I'll be doing the leatherseats.com kit for the front and rear seats, then wrapping the door panels and dash in vinyl to match. Once complete, I could care less if the dash cracks down the road, as it will never even be known unless for some reason I have to remove the dash again.

ArmyBadger2727

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L V8 Gas
I just replaced my dash with a new one from LMC as well, and can vouch that they had a great product. Yes, its a lot of money ($300) and work (5-6 hours for me) but it feel great to have a solid dash with no cracked pieces rolling around!

dudeman2009

Reaction score
Ram Year
2001 1500 Sport with enough electrical modifications to make my brain hurt
Engine
Magnum 360
I just bought some real nice goop like stuff from walmart to fill in the cracks. So far it looks like a DIY job but it is rock solid now, and since a second crack showed up on my dash when I was installing the CB, I have matching lines of this goop stuff. I like to joke around and call it my racing stripes. If anyone is really interested i'll find the tube of it in my truck and get the real name for it.

jsmith

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I went with the LMC replacement dash as well and it's holding up great.

dapepper9

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L V8
I have the plastic cap. It's decent but still fake. Sand the underside, apply epoxy (get a 2nd tube and apply liberally), press on and wedge wood blocks and heavy **** between the cover and the doors and put the heavy stuff on top to hold it down. Wait about 3hrs before removing the weights

Latest posts

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
VLG6963