door swap question.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Romulus91

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
magnum V8
hopefully this is the right section to post this. anyways
Hi. I have an 01 ram 1500 quad cab. my doors are getting pretty rusty and im looking to replace them. my truck is basic with manual windows and locks. i found a parts truck but the doors on it are pw pl. are these doors compatable with my truck? I know they will bolt on but kind of silly if the windows and locks wont work. the year and model of truck are the same. or is there a way i can swap the shells of the doors?

dudeman2009

Reaction score
Ram Year
2001 1500 Sport with enough electrical modifications to make my brain hurt
Engine
Magnum 360
hopefully this is the right section to post this. anyways
Hi. I have an 01 ram 1500 quad cab. my doors are getting pretty rusty and im looking to replace them. my truck is basic with manual windows and locks. i found a parts truck but the doors on it are pw pl. are these doors compatable with my truck? I know they will bolt on but kind of silly if the windows and locks wont work. the year and model of truck are the same. or is there a way i can swap the shells of the doors?

Strange enough there are two types of power locks. Standard, and RKE. The power windows are the same. If it has the standard power locks then making them work is easy, if its setup for RKE, its possible, just more difficult.

As far as swapping, i'd just swap parts for the windows and locks as well as the interior cover, if you don't want to fight to making the power systems work.

If you do want power windows and locks, there is a way to set it up, its just going to be a lot of electrical work.

OP
OP
R

Romulus91

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
magnum V8
Ok awesome. Well im fine with keeping manual doors and locks (less things to break) my question then becomes how do i go about swapping the guts out? never done before or really had need to remove the inner pannel except to change a speaker. apologies if this seems like an overly simple question or anything.

dudeman2009

Reaction score
Ram Year
2001 1500 Sport with enough electrical modifications to make my brain hurt
Engine
Magnum 360
Ok awesome. Well im fine with keeping manual doors and locks (less things to break) my question then becomes how do i go about swapping the guts out? never done before or really had need to remove the inner pannel except to change a speaker. apologies if this seems like an overly simple question or anything.

I cant give you any tips or tricks. Just take it slow, if it feels like something is preventing it from coming loose, stop and look it over. Also, the door panel comes off without removing the cloth decoration right above the armrest, don't try to pull it off. And the door panel is kind of finicky, some of the retaining anchors slide into the panel at weird angles, I wish I could remember more, but a long flathead can reach down and pry them out of the door. Destroy the yellow plastic anchors, not your door panel, you can easily buy new anchors.

dodge dude94

Millennial Boomer
Reaction score
Ram Year
1998 Ram 1500
Engine
5.9 Magnum
Personally, I'd just swap the shells and be done with it.

Staff online

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
radikio