Drivers side grab handle, 1999 Ram

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Tripletdad

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 V8
Newbie to the forum, thanks for the add.
I am wanting to install a drivers side grab bar on the A pillar of my 1999 Ram Quad Cab 4x4, just like the one on the passenger side. Any thoughts, ideas, pics or videos?
Thanks!

dudeman2009

Reaction score
Ram Year
2001 1500 Sport with enough electrical modifications to make my brain hurt
Engine
Magnum 360
With some modification you can install a passenger side pillar with the handle on the driver side. You'll need to drill two holes and two slots in the A pillar in order to accommodate the handle, you'll also need to get some spacers and trim them to get them to the right size. Made absolutely sure and I cannot stress enough, that you drill the holes and cut the slots in exactly the right position or the pillar cover won't snap in correctly.

Okiespaniel

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
magnum, 5.9
I don't recall drilling any slots in my ram to mount my handle. The steel behind the the plastic trim has slots in it.

Thinking that sheet metal screws would not be strong enough to hold the handle as I swing my fat **** into the drivers seat, I installed two rivet nuts and used standard 1/4x 20 fasteners.

Because there is a gap between the plastic trim and metal bulkhead, I bought two nylon spacers about an inch long and had to trim each end at an angle. I made them just a hair larger than the trim and the handle vinyl squeezes around them...It's a flush fit . You don't want to distort the plastic trim!

Can't stress enough here...make sure you measure correctly the spread and location of your mounting holes! You have to be about dead on....and I mean dead on! I had to file out the holes on the handle....which is a real biotch!

27570007435_984fef5cb5_z.jpg000_0003_(1) by desertguy56, on Flickr

Last edited: