Electrical Issues - Need Help

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

TikiGod77

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I have a '96 Ram 1500 regular cab that has been an absolute dream to own, right up until about a week ago. The ignition switch cylinder broke and I had to replace it as well as the piece that it fits into that is mounted on the side of the column (the piece that has the lighted ring). Got that back together and I thought everything was fine. Got in my truck today and as I drove it, things started to quit working. By the time I turned around and got home, the wipers, the turn signals, the radio, etc. would not work and the lights on my dash started coming on one by one, i.e. brake light, ABS light, air bag light, etc. Anyone have any ideas what in the world is going on?

Badger

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Recheck the wiring you did, sounds like a live wire came loose and hit a ground. Check your fuses too as they have probably blown.

And welcome to RF

jbmobbs

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 360
^^^what he said^^^ check and see if wires may have burnt and mended together or fuses and check your wiring like badger said lol

quietpeen

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 TRX
Engine
Hellcat
i agree with what is said above. Everything was fine until you replaced the ignitions switch cylinder. That is most likely the cause and hopefully its just something loose and not melted wiring

OP
OP
T

TikiGod77

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Found it. Apparently I hit the side of one of the large connectors and unlocked it. As I drove, the vibrations started separating the connection causing things to quit working. A quick glance just did not catch this one; it still looked like it was connected until actually laid hands on it.
Thanks for the help!

wermbang

Reaction score
Ram Year
2001 Off Road
Engine
5.9L V8 Sport
Glad ya got it fixed,

welcome to the site