Fabricating a dash?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Mohpar

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Magnum 5.9
Anyone have pictures or thoughts on pulling the entire dash and putting something like sheet metal over it? As in welding or making removable pannels, and adding all the controls for A/C and heat and such back?

Just thoughts. I love the dash's look, and I have a cap, but no bezel yet. Things are falling apart though, and it gets worse every Texas summer

dapepper9

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L V8
I've seen it done in stainless steel before and it looked cool but that was also in a diesel pulling truck. Other than that I haven't seen anything on it.

MagSport

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
The coolest thing I've seen Dash-wise, was when someone swapped a 3rd gen dash and seats into their second generation cummins.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

dapepper9

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L V8
I've seen 4th gen swaps too but that requires EXTENSIVE work and creativity with the wiring

MagSport

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I've seen 4th gen swaps too but that requires EXTENSIVE work and creativity with the wiring

Never seen a 4th gen dash swap, I've considered it but I figured those dashes are way to big to even attempt.

OP
OP
Mohpar

Mohpar

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Magnum 5.9
I'm thinking the best bet is a 3rd gen, however I have no experience with converting wiring to accommodate. A lot of work in any case.

I love tan so maybe one day I'll buckle down, pull the dash and buy a new one from the dealer if they still stock them

KyleW2

Reaction score
Ram Year
2008 Ram 1500
Engine
I'm thinking the best bet is a 3rd gen, however I have no experience with converting wiring to accommodate. A lot of work in any case.

I love tan so maybe one day I'll buckle down, pull the dash and buy a new one from the dealer if they still stock them

Check JYs frequently. One came through that matched my truck for $80, no cracks looked brand new. You never know you might find one

jsmith

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I'd go through LMC before I did the dealer route, iirc I paid around $280 shipped and they have upgraded UV protection over the Dodge ones. Keep an eye on Craigslist also I've seen a couple for sale.

clownprince

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Magnum V8
My dash in my 97 was a jigsaw of shattered plastic under the ugly leather dash cover when I pulled it off. It's been a slow process of doing just because of limited time to work on it but here is what I have done so far. If I can find pictures I will post some to give a better idea.

1. Removed all jigsaw pieces to expose gaping hole, all ductwork and electrical.

2. Covered majority with aluminum foil to protect ductwork and electrical, working foil down into cracks and crevices

3. Sprayed over foil with Great Stuff spray foam insulation to form base of new dash.

4. carve down spray foam into desired dash shape, using assorted knives and sandpaper. (In Progress)

Future steps from here......

5. Layer fiberglass along top of dash for strength and support, also use fiberglass to hold any new additions (i.e. tablet holder, gauge cluster, dashcam mount)

6. Sand and sand and sand and sand and sand

7. Use body filler to fill small gaps and smooth

8. sand sand sand sand sand

9. primer and paint!

OP
OP
Mohpar

Mohpar

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Magnum 5.9
My dash in my 97 was a jigsaw of shattered plastic under the ugly leather dash cover when I pulled it off. It's been a slow process of doing just because of limited time to work on it but here is what I have done so far. If I can find pictures I will post some to give a better idea.

Sounds like you have a plan! Sadly I daily drive mine and it'd be hard to have it out for so long

Cant wait to see pics

clownprince

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Magnum V8
have it out? Jeez I wish it was that easy! I'm building this all in the truck and driving it on a near daily basis while it's being worked on!

OP
OP
Mohpar

Mohpar

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Magnum 5.9
have it out? Jeez I wish it was that easy! I'm building this all in the truck and driving it on a near daily basis while it's being worked on!

Oh wow what a task! I'm going to school currently so the truck is parked there most of the time. Only time I have to work on it is summer, Christmas, and the small breaks in between when I'm home. Sounds like you have a fun and challenging project going on!

clownprince

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Magnum V8
man I miss school days, i always had 4-5 cars I was working on for the club i was in. Sun-up go to school, afternoon, drink beer and work on cars, and then catch 4 hours of sleep and work a graveyard shift. Wash, rinse, repeat.......

Now raising 2 kids and another on the way, full time job working 60 hours a week, and taking care of a wife it takes me 2 weeks of squeezing out time to get a brake job done!