Gauge LED swap

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
ramthis9501

ramthis9501

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.2 V8
Dangit Tony.... Now I'm rethinking this... Now with your diy I might just have to retry this mod one day lol

Bigtman07

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 5.9
Lol give it a shot man. It's not hard. If I can do it anyone can

wermbang

Reaction score
Ram Year
2001 Off Road
Engine
5.9L V8 Sport
I guess I should have come back to the site sooner. I have had mine done for a long time, and even had a write up that I used from DF. I am going to be redoing them shortly and adding new LEDs. I went with the 4 bulb ones, but gonna do 6 I think
100_0618.jpg
100_0614.jpg
100_0627.jpg
100_0630.jpg

Bigtman07

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 5.9
That's a pretty cool deep glow. Mine were white so the light blue color is what you see. What angle of bulb did ya use??

OklaHemi

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
new age hemi
man you guys get together and do a write up for the 2nd gens. this upgrade is awesome

wermbang

Reaction score
Ram Year
2001 Off Road
Engine
5.9L V8 Sport
Not sure as I got mine of ebay. The are just the 4-led 194 bulb, got a 10 pack. I plan on redoing a write up when I get a chance to get new bulbs.
100_0610.jpg
100_0611.jpg

Bigtman07

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 5.9
Interesting. From what I have been seeing get a viewing angle greater than 90 it will help even the color.

wermbang

Reaction score
Ram Year
2001 Off Road
Engine
5.9L V8 Sport
Yeah I am gonna do some looking around for different ones. May look at the SMD LEDs

Bigtman07

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 5.9
lol I only went around the block. I'll save the WOT for TOTM if I ever get there again.

OP
OP
ramthis9501

ramthis9501

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.2 V8
Man that looks good... now i've decided that i'm gonna get some more bulbs and try this again lol how do you do the a/c and headlight controller? I want to do it all :********:

Bigtman07

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 5.9
Not sure haven't attempted that yet. I would imagine pull it and replace the same as the cluster.

wermbang

Reaction score
Ram Year
2001 Off Road
Engine
5.9L V8 Sport
Taken from the write up I used, its in word but has pics just send me your email.

Remove the three black screws and pull the headlight switch from the holder.

17.) Unlock the red tabs securing the wiring and remove. There should be one small one and one large one. Pull them from the switch and turn switch over. You will notice a small light gray circle on the back. Using your flathead screwdriver, twist slightly to the left. It should come loose. Remove. The tube is long with a bulb mounted on the end. Untwist the bottom and remove the bulb. Using a hacksaw or something of the sort, cut the tube in half. Using a drill bit, drill through the tube just to the end. Do not penetrate the end. Using a pick, clear the two holes. Using one of the LED’s that you bought from Advance Auto Parts, cut the wire to about two inches, including the blue shrink wrap sleeve. Splice the ends so that the two wires will enter through the twist-lock holes. Pull the LED through the holes as close as possible. It will be a tight fit. Wrap in the same manner you removed the stock bulb. Should look similar to this. Disregard the black wire protruding from the rear of mine, I will discuss this later.

18.) Replace the twist-lock and plug in both other wired connectors. Test the LED. This one IS DIRECTIONAL. If it doesn’t light up, remove and turn 180 degrees. Replace. Once it works, replace the headlight switch.

19.) Now on to the Climate Controls. Remove the four black screws securing the Climate Control Unit and pull out. Do not remove any wiring or vacuum hoses.

20.) Looking above at the rear of the unit, you will notice two more light gray twist-locks. Remove them now. They are not as long as the headlight one.

21.) Unwrap the wiring and pull the stock bulb out. Using one of the 3 of 5mm NEO5-B LED’s, unwrap them from their twist locks as well. You will notice they are not the same size. My mistake. Replace stock twist locks with the removed LED’s, but do not reinsert into unit quite yet.

22.) Using your prying tool, remove the front cover by prying the 8 tabs located on the sides of the unit.

23.) You will have to pull slightly to release the knobs from their positions. WATCH CAREFULLY. The mirror defrost button has TWO SPRINGS. The button is likely to fall off, along with the small springs. Keep and eye on them. Remove it slowly enough and they should stay intact. There will also be a clear plastic reflector.

24.) You will notice in my picture that I have wired in two more of the lights I bought from Advance Auto Parts. The two LED’s by themselves are not bright enough, so I made it into four. I also placed aluminum foil behind them to help reflect the light. Just tape the aluminum foil onto the inside, leaving all holes open. Wire in the two extra LED’s into your replacement twist-lock LED’s and put them in front. You can test this one right away. Remember that they are directional and may have to be flipped 180 degrees.

25.) Replace all the climate control components back together when lighting is complete. Remember the way you removed it, and replace in the same manner. Keep in mind that the two springs can bind themselves, so put it back together carefully.

OP
OP
ramthis9501

ramthis9501

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.2 V8
Thanks man, I'll have to save this for when I get time and money to get some more bulbs and try again!

Latest posts

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
txram956