Heater box swamped?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Mr.4spd

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Magnum 5.2
I noticed a water sloshing sound inside my cab when driving around this fall/winter. I also noticed that even when the engine temp is up I get very little heat for 10 minutes or so. Anyone run into similar problems? Could the heater box drain be plugged and the box full of rain water? (01 Ram). Is this tough to remedy?

Bigtman07

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 5.9
It sounds like the drain is plugged or the heater core is shot putting water and antifreeze into your box. Best way to fix it is to pull the dash and the box. Take the box apart and replace the heater core.

OP
OP
M

Mr.4spd

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Magnum 5.2
I guess I was hoping to get out easy, I'm gonna try and find the drain and hook a shop vac to it or probe around with a piece of wire. I really don't want to pull the dash...

Okiespaniel

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
magnum, 5.9
Theres a nipple coming out of the box that could be plugged, you'll have toget at it from under the truck.
Your heater core is normally isolated from this, so it you're not gettting hot air you could have a plugged core or your blend door isn't working properly.

If your core itself is bad you'll smell antifreeze and when it gets real bad the defroster is useless and steam rolls out your vents.

The water sound you hear could be air in your cooling system. These trucks at this age are real tough to keep sealed up.

Bigtman07

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 5.9
^^^^^Agreed Okie. But my drain is in the fire wall is there another drain?

Okiespaniel

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
magnum, 5.9
The drain is in the HVAC box, and it comes through the firewall. Dam symantics always trippin' me up!