how do i remove

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

wermbang

Reaction score
Ram Year
2001 Off Road
Engine
5.9L V8 Sport
I think its the whole lever, not just the end of it. Have to take about the plastics around the column, and there is a pins and springs I believe too, been awhile since I was in there
94-02-ram-steering-column-2.gif

OP
OP
Badger

Badger

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
It's got to come off, its a plastic head on a metal shaft... Hmm I've got to get it off to do my new super secret shifted mod. I'm gonna go play with it. Maybe someone can chime in.

wermbang

Reaction score
Ram Year
2001 Off Road
Engine
5.9L V8 Sport
I think its glued on there. I know the tilt steering one on mine is, cause I broke it to get it off. Its like super super glue or something. If you find out how to remove it safely let me know too, so I can finish up my hand turned ones.

OP
OP
Badger

Badger

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Figured it out. Take pliars and break the outer casing. Then take the pliars and twist like Hell to break the glue and twist off. BTW I added new pics to my build thread of my new shifter!!!!

wermbang

Reaction score
Ram Year
2001 Off Road
Engine
5.9L V8 Sport
See I am afraid for mine, as my overdrive button is on he end of it, and don't know how the wires are run.

OP
OP
Badger

Badger

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Ahh then I would try to drop a little rubbing alcohol near the bottom of the knob while its in low gear. That should break the glue up some. But go sparingly as you don't want to soak the electronics.

nim81

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L
100% acetone would breakup glue pretty good as well. dont know how it would react with wiring though....