Mouse smell from vents

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

spuz

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7 l v8
I cleaned out a mouse nest on squirrel cage but smell seems to suggest the mice got past Heater core or condenser. Is that possible? They did not get into cab. The fresh air intake seems to only be on passenger side and goes to squirrel cage. Is there another way for them to access vents?
There is tunnel on driver side from grills beneath windshield but I think this is only for drainage? Thanks

DodgeTx

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L Cummins, 5.2l v8
I had to read this because of title. it is possible for a mouse I suppose to get into heater and ac ducts system through the ac drainage hole.

If you are truly truly concerned about this you would have to remove dash and check the box where consdenser and heatcore sits.

Post pics if you find anything crazy!

OP
OP
S

spuz

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7 l v8
OK, I will sell. Thx

OP
OP
S

spuz

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7 l v8
Finally figured it out. There are two drain holes under the grill. Mice can get through drain holes.
These holes are the drain entrance. The exit at bottom of frame is too small for mice. The entrance dies have rubber doors. One was missing. I don't know if these doors would stop mice. In all there are six ways mice could get under grill. Two drains, two wipers and two upper corners. The mice were coming back and this is why smell continued.
You should keep your ac on recirculation as that closes doors to outside. Mice still can get six inches down. I blocked drains with mesh. Reglued
The wiper hole rubber flap and stuffed tin foil in corner holes. Also put screen over engine air intake.
Searched and never got anything approaching an answer. Dodge community disappoints again.

Rado

US NAVY VETERAN
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Pentastar 3.6 V6
Finally figured it out. There are two drain holes under the grill. Mice can get through drain holes.
These holes are the drain entrance. The exit at bottom of frame is too small for mice. The entrance dies have rubber doors. One was missing. I don't know if these doors would stop mice. In all there are six ways mice could get under grill. Two drains, two wipers and two upper corners. The mice were coming back and this is why smell continued.
You should keep your ac on recirculation as that closes doors to outside. Mice still can get six inches down. I blocked drains with mesh. Reglued
The wiper hole rubber flap and stuffed tin foil in corner holes. Also put screen over engine air intake.
Searched and never got anything approaching an answer. Dodge community disappoints again.

I am not a gear head so sorry for the dumb question! What grill are you talking about ? The one by the wiper ? and the drain hole passenger side ? Thanks no issue yet but I live rural so you never know lol Thanks

dudeman2009

Reaction score
Ram Year
2001 1500 Sport with enough electrical modifications to make my brain hurt
Engine
Magnum 360

Sorry if a bunch of people who donate their free time and experience did not solve your problem for you. I'm glad you found the solution, but its not our job to fix your problem, if we know we will share. However, we can only know what we experienced, not every member checks every single board either, some that may know might not have said anything.

ScottFL

U.S. Navy Gulf War Vet
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 RAM 1500 Laramie Longhorn 4X4
Engine
HEMI 5.7
There is another post on here talking about soy based wire coatings or something, they may be getting in there to chew.....

OP
OP
S

spuz

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7 l v8
Sorry if a bunch of people who donate their free time and experience did not solve your problem for you. I'm glad you found the solution, but its not our job to fix your problem, if we know we will share. However, we can only know what we experienced, not every member checks every single board either, some that may know might not have said anything.

I'm not talking about the half percent who contribute. It blows my mind how lazy and stupid the average person is.

OP
OP
S

spuz

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7 l v8
Grill by wiper. There is drain hole on both sides. The water enters the grill and exits via two drains under grill. The water exits at bottom of truck. Exit hole Too small for mice.

Jyork75

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 12 valve
Thank you this helps !

GTyankee

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 ecodiesel
on a 4th Generation Ram, it looks like this, under the vent intake

1686343335749.png

1686343386168.png

1686343447245.png