Newbie Here in love with his dodge Ram But Need Help!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Tomeegun222

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.2 V8
Okay so i bought this 1997 dodge ram 1500 i believe its the 5.2L but not sure how can i tell? I payed 2100 for the truck and it has 95k miles So here is what is wrong with it:

check engine light- pretty sure i fixed this it said something about vacuum line or something so i replaced the bad ones and it hasn't come back on in 200 miles

1. it has no reverse!!! now this one i really need help on its a pain in the ass not having!!!!!

2. the gas gauge doesn't work sometimes it will jump up for a second but drop right back down and the light comes on sucks not knowing!

3.when i accelerate i hear a rattling kinda like a u-joint?!?!

4. Brights , when i click the brights on all the headlights turn off!!!

i need a bench seat mines pretty bad on the driver side!
any tips to check or things to look out for would be appreciated!!!

Designflaw

Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 CC Sport 4x4
Engine
Hemi 5.7
On #4, I would say your HI-Beams in your lamps are out.

WhiteExpress

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Okay so i bought this 1997 dodge ram 1500 i believe its the 5.2L but not sure how can i tell? I payed 2100 for the truck and it has 95k miles So here is what is wrong with it:

check engine light- pretty sure i fixed this it said something about vacuum line or something so i replaced the bad ones and it hasn't come back on in 200 miles

1. it has no reverse!!! now this one i really need help on its a pain in the ass not having!!!!!

2. the gas gauge doesn't work sometimes it will jump up for a second but drop right back down and the light comes on sucks not knowing!

3.when i accelerate i hear a rattling kinda like a u-joint?!?!

4. Brights , when i click the brights on all the headlights turn off!!!

i need a bench seat mines pretty bad on the driver side!
any tips to check or things to look out for would be appreciated!!!

1: No Reverse?! Like you put it into Reverse and nothing happens?! You'll be taking apart the transmission minimum for that one.

2: You can check the connection ontop of the tank to see if it's solid, if it is, you'll likely need a new fuel pump assembly (sender is included)

3: Well, check the u-joints for slop. Could be random metal chunks in your trans from the 'no reverse' bit.

4: I'd certainly try bulbs (or bust out a VOM if you have one). Could also be a faulty Multifunction switch on the column. Fairly easy replacement, not terribly expensive either (40-50 if I recall right).

5: Seats - man, seats suck. Find a good upholstery shop to put some new foam in it and build you a set of covers.

OP
OP
Tomeegun222

Tomeegun222

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.2 V8
Thanks for the reply's guys!!! ill get down on what i can for now and let you know what happens

OP
OP
Tomeegun222

Tomeegun222

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.2 V8
Okay so the rattling was just coming from the heat shield near the back of the tail pipe, i put a hose clamp on it and **** sound gone just a temporary fix ill be putting dual exhaust ;)

HolyRamBatman

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Okay so the rattling was just coming from the heat shield near the back of the tail pipe, i put a hose clamp on it and **** sound gone just a temporary fix ill be putting dual exhaust ;)

You have that rattle too. :evillol:

I could only hear it while it was cold and when I was sitting it the drivers seat(don't know why the drivers seat). Had to have someone else start my truck to find it.

wingnut

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 gas
RE: headlights. My 95 was fine till I moved to the country, and started to drive with the hi-beams on all the time. After about 5 min, they would flicker, and go out. Bad connection from the factory on the top of the headlight switch. Kinda burned-up. I cant remember if it was the headlight switch feed, or the hi-beam output. Solution was to install the hi-beam relay, posted elsewhere on this forum. Instead of running all light power through the switch, it turns the switch into a relay, and gives the lights good battery power with little voltage drop.

OP
OP
Tomeegun222

Tomeegun222

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.2 V8
RE: headlights. My 95 was fine till I moved to the country, and started to drive with the hi-beams on all the time. After about 5 min, they would flicker, and go out. Bad connection from the factory on the top of the headlight switch. Kinda burned-up. I cant remember if it was the headlight switch feed, or the hi-beam output. Solution was to install the hi-beam relay, posted elsewhere on this forum. Instead of running all light power through the switch, it turns the switch into a relay, and gives the lights good battery power with little voltage drop.

I'm gonna try that and see what happens! thanks!!

OP
OP
Tomeegun222

Tomeegun222

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.2 V8
You have that rattle too. :evillol:

I could only hear it while it was cold and when I was sitting it the drivers seat(don't know why the drivers seat). Had to have someone else start my truck to find it.

yeah mine was only doing it at a certain RPM so i had my father in law
hold it as steady as he could and i got under there and searched around it was
the heat shield at the very last of the exhaust i put a hose clamp tightened it down boom noise gone!

OP
OP
Tomeegun222

Tomeegun222

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.2 V8
UPDATE:
so i haven't gotten into any major work on her Like the gauge or
Reverse but iv'e done ALLOT of research! , apparently the chance of the Reverse Band being shot is good so i'm going to buy one and rip that ****** out I'll keep you all informed on it

I did however buy a couple cosmetic things like a synthetic leather "RAM"
steering wheel cover... it feels nice on my hands

another thing i didn't mention was somebody spilled battery acid all over the passenger rear quarter panel so the plastic on the bumper was melted the bed liner on the tailgaite was bent backwards from the heat and the pain bubbled and F'ed UP so i got the pain all sanded down and shot it with some primer till i paint it, scavenged a junk yard and found the plastic piece for 15 bucks!! and took a heat gun to the tailgate cover and taped it while it cooled to put it back in place while i was there at the junk yard i found some Tubular Headers!!!!!! 60 bucks!!! i'm going to pull them off Friday when i get payed!
also the tint was all bubbling and gross so i took a pack of razor blades to it and cleaned em right up a buddie of mine does tint so ill be getting it re-tinted for 80 bucks ************ dark too

OP
OP
Tomeegun222

Tomeegun222

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.2 V8
AND as far as the seat goes ... ill worry about it when i have reverse!

DAN 25

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.2 Magnum
No reverse, could be shift linkage???