Overhead Console idea

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

gmwilkes

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Found a pic of an overhead console idea that I'd like to try in my reg cab to mount my cb, some switches for future lights, maybe a scanner, and a better dome light. After reading what this guy used, 1/2 plywood, it doesn't seem too difficult. I'd have to built the console to contour to the headliner. My only concern is securing it too the roof/ headliner. I know the headliner won't support it but what would I use to secure it to the room? Would Self Tapping Screws work? I figured while I had the chance I'd put in some cab lights as well.

I'm able to follow direction for install, wiring is my main concern but I'm sure I can find the info to wire everything especially the switches and cab lights and cb and scanner. Do I need to be concerned about overloading anything so I don't drain the battery too quickly or burn up anything as far as wires? Anybody with electrical experience, I'd appreciate any tips.

I've attached 2 pics, one of the console and one of the headliner to show contour. Also, this would replace everything along the center including current console/lights.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1419484896.495547.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1419484932.041998.jpg

MoparMagic'00

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.2 Magnum
nothing attaches to the liner it has clips that squeeze into the roof.. self tapping screws will be fine as long as they aren't too long and go through the outer roof skin and leak.. your factory console only has the lights no trip computer so it should be ok easy.. no clue on how cab lights flow in on factory setup but if you are going after market it won't be so hard. Best thing I will suggest is good clean grounds and connections along with proper gauged wire and inline fuses

OP
OP
G

gmwilkes

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Ok thanks. I was thinking of the cab lights from LMC truck as they include the harness for them so the install should be fairly easy. Also looked at the DIY section where there were a couple light installs. Just want to make sure I do it right the first time. This is the first in a long line of fixes/mods I'm planning to do to get my truck back into better shape.

OP
OP
G

gmwilkes

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Lol thanks. And Merry Christmas to you.

RangerWeaver

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
V8 4.7L
Welcome to the forum & Hope you had a merry Christmas.
I'll be following this thread as I LOVE this idea and want to do this to my truck now!

It would be great if when you do it you post a DIY for it

OP
OP
G

gmwilkes

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Will do. Still have to get materials together then figure out mounting it. Was thinking of pulling a headliner from a parts truck practice on in case I have to cut the headliner out to get it mounted, but I'll keep everyone updated and most definitely do a diy for it. The goal is inexpensive but not trashy lol b

OP
OP
G

gmwilkes

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
And thank you my Christmas was good hope yours was as well.

MoparMagic'00

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.2 Magnum
might check out older vans for reference a lot of them had that for eq's and stereo and some also had cbs there

dave1970

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
8.o v10
if you are looking at cab lights might sugest leds tyhey use almost no amp draw and can be found in many coler lights really make your interior shine lol.scanner or cb type stuff wont overload , unless you start going amp for stero then nothing fancy until you start getting over 200 watt amps ihav done all the way up 3000 wat amps with 17 inch subs and duel batterys with my sons set up,personily I never had to go over 500 watt amps to rattle the windowshad overhead council but went actost the cab would like to see your end product with frount to rear set up best of luck

OP
OP
G

gmwilkes

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Thanks. I'm gonna take some measurements later today and start sketching out a plan for the console and then wiring etc. think I may order aftermarket map lights, just wondering about how that'll work with door opening or closing? Maybe use the light setup modified to go into the console. I think I figured out the mounting by doing a flat piece of wood mounted to the roof then using screws to secure the console itself to the flat piece. Screws would go throught the fabric etc but we'll have to see how that works out. Sounds like it's gonna be some trial and error to get it right.

OP
OP
G

gmwilkes

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Ok so just an update and I'll have pics of simple sketches to go with this in a little while. But was thinking I may create a storage compartment instead of a slot for a scanner in my console. Scanner is just for kicks to have it. But the storage compartment could be useful. Maybe a lockable one with a drop down so that certain items could be secured inside? Any thoughts? I think I can make it work and it be much more useful than a scanner.

OP
OP
G

gmwilkes

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
That's looking great. I have intentions to do this after hunting season and I have a little more time. You using 1/2in ply? Planning to cover it? Also what did you use to secure it to the roof?

OP
OP
G

gmwilkes

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Now that I look at yours I may alter my design slightly as there's more room up there than I thought lol.

RangerWeaver

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
V8 4.7L
Yes to the 1/2 inch. I used the original screw mounts from the old console. And self tapping sheet metal screws in the rear.

RangerWeaver

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
V8 4.7L
Found a pic of an overhead console idea that I'd like to try in my reg cab to mount my cb, some switches for future lights, maybe a scanner, and a better dome light. After reading what this guy used, 1/2 plywood, it doesn't seem too difficult. I'd have to built the console to contour to the headliner. My only concern is securing it too the roof/ headliner. I know the headliner won't support it but what would I use to secure it to the room? Would Self Tapping Screws work? I figured while I had the chance I'd put in some cab lights as well.

I'm able to follow direction for install, wiring is my main concern but I'm sure I can find the info to wire everything especially the switches and cab lights and cb and scanner. Do I need to be concerned about overloading anything so I don't drain the battery too quickly or burn up anything as far as wires? Anybody with electrical experience, I'd appreciate any tips.

I've attached 2 pics, one of the console and one of the headliner to show contour. Also, this would replace everything along the center including current console/lights.

View attachment 41990

View attachment 41991

do you have a link to his build?

OP
OP
G

gmwilkes

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
His explanation of the mount is unusual, and with the way our headliners are held up, I'm concerned about cutting it out as he did. So I'm thinking of using 2x4s and securing them to the roof using self tapping screws because of the contour of the roof then mounting the shell using regular screws through the the fabric and shell into the 2x4s. I'll draw up my idea later to better explain.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
txram956