Replacement Dash

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Bigtman07

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 5.9
Ok guys and gals. I was just browsing around ebay and I was finding full oem replacement upper dash's for the 2nd gens. But my question is do you think that they could be painted to match my interior color?? If so what would I use?? I apparently have a rare color for my interior. All parts come in black or gray. I have the cracked dash but I was thinking about replacing the top cover if I found one at a good price. I don't want the silly looking covers I want oem style dash replacement. any ideas if I could paint it my color??

wermbang

Reaction score
Ram Year
2001 Off Road
Engine
5.9L V8 Sport
I am guessing you have the tan interior?

If so I am sure you could find a tan plastic paint or interior dye.

OP
OP
Bigtman07

Bigtman07

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 5.9
Not sure where to look and yea. Almost every ram I have seen has the gray or black interior. Any idea where to look to get that dye??

adamwilkes14

Reaction score
Yes they are paintable and they are ABS plastic not vinyl so no need for dye...just prep a accordingly, use a good adhesion promoter and paint away...

I too have the tan interior, but when I get an overlay, I am leaving mine black..

OP
OP
Bigtman07

Bigtman07

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 5.9
I thought about that but yea that would look funny. lmao

So prep as in sand prime paint??? Rattlecan?? or should I have a shop do it?

adamwilkes14

Reaction score
sand, clean with a tack cloth, prime, sand , then again with tack cloth, then paint...everything I have done with paint on my second gen has been with Duplicolor and I am a big fan of it...

the reason I am gonna leave mine black is because even though I have a tan interior, the dash bezel in black, the air vents are black...so why the hell not...

OP
OP
Bigtman07

Bigtman07

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 5.9
lol well lucky you. Mine is all color matched except for the gauge bezel. Hmm gonna look into this process more. I really want this thing to look mint again. It's already in the shop for body work.

Shiloh 24

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L gas
I'm pretty sure duplicolor makes a rattle can paint specifically for things like this, you might check that out?

wermbang

Reaction score
Ram Year
2001 Off Road
Engine
5.9L V8 Sport
Yeah with the plastic your gonna want an adhesion promoter.

I had mine dash bezel and passenger airbag in silver. I recently plasi dipped them :) goes good with the rest of the black inside the truck better than the silver did. I just wiped everything down for it though. My air vents are matched to the outside color with silver on the inside vents.

adamwilkes14

Reaction score
lol well lucky you. Mine is all color matched except for the gauge bezel. Hmm gonna look into this process more. I really want this thing to look mint again. It's already in the shop for body work.

If you look at my bumper cap...I used the same process I described here on it...and it is out in the elements and is holding up real strong...You could even use the Duplicolor Self Etching Primer on the plastic as it is a good adhesion promoter too.

I'm pretty sure duplicolor makes a rattle can paint specifically for things like this, you might check that out?

No need for any special paint on the Plastic really...just proper prep and it will be good to go...if it was vinyl, it would be a diff story...