Replacing Cracked Dashboard

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

FryeBaby

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 L
I am new to the forum and I love the Dodge Truck information. I have searched the forum and read everything I could on cracked dashboards. I have a 2000 SLT Quad Cab with the 5.9 L. I am fixing to replace my dashboard and I wanted to make sure nothing has changed with the recommendations. My dashboard is falling to pieces and I have it glued and duct taped together. I have a bad heater core and the blend door is messing up behind the dash. So when they take my dash off it is going to fall to pieces. It looks like LCM Truck is a good place to buy a dashboard from what I read. Is that still true? Is there a better place? Has anybody had any trouble with their replacement dashboards? When they remove my dash to fix my issues I am going to let them install the new dash. I love my truck but the two things that really make me mad is the dash falling to pieces and the headlights on my truck are useless. I have left my headlights on high beam for the last five years and nobody has flashed their lights at me. LOL. Is that bad headlights or what. Thanks for any help.

MagSport

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I replaced mine over Christmas break with a LMC Kit. I bought a replacement bezel, dash, and dash mat. Installation was a pain in the ass due to all of the little screws that hold the upper part of the panel in but it does make a tremendous difference, (especially since my dash was completely gone). LMC's price is fair and their product fits the bill, they advertise that their dashes are made of a more rugged plastic composite than oem but I still bought a dash mat just to be safe. Make sure to read through the article about this in the 2nd gen diy section before you have it done. That way if problems arise later you can still have an idea about whats going on. There are a lot of connectors and little stuff that you need to keep an eye on such as airbag connectors and gear indicator cables/brackets (I almost broke mine off).
http://www.ramforum.com/f77/upper_dash_panel_replaced-3655/

OP
OP
F

FryeBaby

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 L
Thanks MagSport for the information. It is good to know that the LMC dash is good to go. The guys that are doing the work on my heater and air seem to know about the airbags and the other connections. They said they would have to charge me because of all of the connections they would have to mess with. That is fine with me and I am glad they mentioned it and seem to know what is going on. They said usually they just take the dash loose and leave all the connections connected while they do the work on AC stuff or whatever they are getting to behind the dash, but since I want to swap dashs they would have to disconnect and reconnect everything. This dash issue just makes me mad. I wish somebody would start a Grassroots Lawsuit against Dodge for this. I am not into suing in general but in this case I would be glad to join the suit. Dodge should have taken care of this problem but it costs money. Mine started cracking after about 4 and half years, right after the 3 year warranty ended. I protected mine with 303 protective for vinyl, plastic and leather and it did not make a difference. Thanks again.

MagSport

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
My uncle said something about a fix from the dealerships. He bought his cummins brand new in 01 and spoke to a person at the dealership when he heard about the dash issue. He said they would replace the dashboard for free, (not counting labor) if he was the original owner of the truck, and it posed a reasonable safety hazard to himself or passengers. This may just be a localized thing but my uncle's pretty reliable when it comes to info about these second gens. Mopar runs in the family I guess lol.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
magnum 5.2
I had replaced the entire dash in my truck and when it came out it just shattered and I was left with a metal frame and a few plastic pieces but you shouldn't have that issue my truck was left in the sun undisturbed for 2 years before I got it. But anything you do will still be better than what you got. If you are replacing the entire dash like I did dont go to the dealership they wanted 2000 without wiring and vacuum tubing I would get a good used one if you go that route

99 Ram sport 1500 5.2 2wd

meistermash

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine

RangerWeaver

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
V8 4.7L
mine was to the point that it would fall apart if you just looked at it (Florida sun killed it) so I ordered a custom cut rug dash cover. looks like new just cant push down on it since there is nothing underneath it except for air and wires

Latest posts

Staff online

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
VLG6963