Replacing dash vs doing custom aluminum dash

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

lucemsequimur

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
360 Magnum
Sooner or later, the $430 needed to get a dash cap and dash bezel will be spent. Honestly, would it be cheaper or better to try and fab a custom sheet metal dash? (Example shown attached) It sure would be cool, but I'm not sure how easy (or cheap) something like that would be. Personally I think spending $100s on cheap ABS molded plastic sounds ridiculous. I've never liked the cheap feel of the 2nd gen interior. A sheet metal dash would be super cool but it really depends on practicality. As far as airbags go, well, these trucks have never been safe anyway. My dad got into a 90mph head on collision with a drunk lady driving on the wrong side of the road and somehow walked away uninjured. He was driving the same truck as I have now except it had the 5.2L, only two months after he bought it the wreck happened. He also noted that the seatbelt kept him from even touching the airbag. I'm sure this isn't a normal example though. If I did go ahead with it, 5-pt harnesses would be a must. Obviously there's a 99% chance I'm not going to do this, but I've always been interested in stuff like this so I'm curious.

Attachments

• tomledsinger-3.jpg
    tomledsinger-3.jpg
    52 KB · Views: 4,415