smoke coming front heater vents in 98 1500

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

1badass1500

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 gas
I recently bought a 98 ram 1500 and the other day driving to work I noticed some white smoke coming from my dash vents (mostly the center on above the stereo) so when I got to work I tried to smell it but it didnt have a strong enough of a odor to really tell what what it was.i also noticed that on the passenger side of the dash there is a black box to the left side of the blower motor and it was really hot so I dont know if they are related and also when I turn the heated it fogs up the window alittle.also the rruck dont have a thermostat so not sure if thats why the windows fogging up alittle or not.can anyone help me swith this? Thanks and appreciate in any advice you guys can help me with.

OP
OP

1badass1500

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 gas
I hav3nt checked the coolant level but if the heater core was leaking wouldnt I smell the sweet smell that the antifreeze gives off? The heat or fan isnt even on when this happened. How hard would that to change?

OP
OP

1badass1500

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 gas
Update. Went out and loked under the dash and behind the radio and couldnt find any burnt wires but I did find this.it almost feels like oil or something like it.its almost right under the cup holders.i coulsnt get any kind of smell from it so I has no smell.it is only a very faint smoke or steam cloud that comes out and I only notice it in the vent right above my radio.

Attachments

• 1378141872972.jpg
    1378141872972.jpg
    87.7 KB · Views: 587

emjohn4

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Heater core is no bueno. Replace it, or bypass it if you are in a warm climate and don't need / want the heater.

Antifreeze leaves a slimy (oily feeling) residue behind.

OP
OP

1badass1500

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 gas
Thanks guys for the help I will replace it asap as I live in washington and need heat

emjohn4

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Thanks guys for the help I will replace it asap as I live in washington and need heat

It's a pretty involved replacement - best do it before it starts to get cool outside.

If you're a heater core ******, plan on two days (2 x 8hrs) for the task.

If you're really really good, plan on 6 hours; that that's if you're really really good. :)

You may wish to consider replacing the evap core as well; as long as you are there.

dapepper9

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L V8
about how much would it cost to have a shop replace the heater core? Mines just started leaking and I don't have time to get to it due to school practice and work. And would having a dash cap make it more difficult?

emjohn4

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
about how much would it cost to have a shop replace the heater core? Mines just started leaking and I don't have time to get to it due to school practice and work. And would having a dash cap make it more difficult?

It's about $1,000 at a shop. The book labor is ~8 hours, at ~$75/hr means about $600 in labor alone. Figure the heatercore will be 2x what autozone charges, so figure another $100 there. Plus evac and recharge the A/C, drain and refill coolant, and tax, you're knocking on $900 - $1,000.

If you don't need heat, block it off until you've got the time. If you need the heat, you're pretty much screwed - either a weekend of your time, or an expensive repair bill.

The dash cap shouldn't matter, unless it is permanently attached, and covers up bolts on the dash that need to be removed to pull the dash.

You should really consider replacing the evap coil as well; the repair procedure is the same; so if that were to fail next year; you'll have another repair bill at the same amount.

RamCode

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.2 Magnum
How Would one go about bloxking off the heater core till it can be replaced?

Tapatalk Time

emjohn4

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
How Would one go about bloxking off the heater core till it can be replaced?

Tapatalk Time

See those two rubber hoses that go into the firewall? The connect to the heater core.

Remove them from the firewall, and connect them to each other. There are some elbows and connectors for heater hose you can get at the local Autozone / Advance / etc.

It's generally a good idea to use some very low pressure air, or water, to then "blow out" the heater core to get the rest of the coolant out of it, so it doesn't continue to leak into your truck.

Check and top off your coolant as required.

That's it. You heater core is now bypassed, and you don't have heat anymore.

RamCode

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.2 Magnum
Would it be smart to do my led lights mod while I already have the dash apart fixing the core?

Tapatalk Time