Sound Insulating Log

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

the codes

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Magnum 5.2
Well, thanks to my head unit and sub being stolen I learned that my cab in hardly insulated at all, and that a LOT of noise makes it in. So I am making this log for others to see my progress and action, etc.

Did a little experiment today, downloaded a decibal reader app (should be somewhat accurate!) and took a few readings on my way home. Here are the results.

Highway (65-75) 80-91 Dec.
City Driving (30-40 mpg) 70-80 Dec.
Red lights (idle) 65-70 Dec.

So now I have a baseline, and hopefully I can improve these numbers! These numbers are with no radio on obviously, and the a/c on medium, however I had it on full blast and it didnt have much effect on the numbers.

I already know what materials I am going with, it is a stick on material, gonna do the innter door, then cover the outer door on both front and extended doors, gonna do the back wall, and maybe even the kick panels if I have enough material.

Lots of pics to follow!

and for anyone wanting to test their numbers against mine, the app I used "Decibel 10th"

I would assume the 3rd and 4th gens would have much lower numbers.

OP
OP
the codes

the codes

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Magnum 5.2
Should be purchasing the materials when my income tax gets in!

PCA4208

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
What sound deadening are you using? I was considering using Dynomat or making my own lizard skin insulation to use in my trucks.

OP
OP
the codes

the codes

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Magnum 5.2
Chewy pointed me in the direction of a matt made by RAAMAUDIO. THats my top choice right now.

I was considering the homemade stuff myself but out of the ease of buying from one source I think I am gonna go with the mat.

WhiteExpress

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I'm quite interested to see your results with this project.

I know a good layer of peal-n'stick sound deading on the rear cab wall made a HUGE difference in my '00 Ram. When I tear down for my sub install, this truck will get a good coating of it too!

OP
OP
the codes

the codes

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Magnum 5.2
yeah I'm really excited to see what I can do!

Tapatalk Addict

Manutea

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I think you meant "mph" in the parentheses.
Im really interested in seeing the results too.
and don`t worry, my 3rd gen is not well isolated either, and Ive been thinking sound deadening sheets for a long time. Will keep an eye on that thread for sure

OP
OP
the codes

the codes

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Magnum 5.2
oops, yeah I meant mph lol was playing cod and typing lol

Tapatalk Addict

OP
OP
the codes

the codes

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Magnum 5.2
So any updates??

sorry to disappoint, financial situation and just all around being incredibly busy brought the project to a halt, but I have every intention of following through with it when I can afford it financially! so keep the faith