water on floor, from the rain? or heater core?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Mikep1016

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hi all, I am new to this sight so I need to learn the ropes. Ok,well for starters I need some input on a leak I have in my 1998 Dodge ram 1500. I found that my passenger floor is wet. I just got this truck so I am finding out what it needs. I used to have a 1994 Ram 1500 and it also always had a leak on the passenger floor. I'm sure someone can tell me what's up with this problem that lots of Dodge trucks seem to have. They mostley rot on the bottom of the doors too. Since I am a new Dodge owner I am not familiar with most of their common problems. My truck is great but I cannot put up with a wet floor.I'm not sure yet where it came from,weather it leaked in while it was raining or possably my heater core. Please point me in the most common direction to try first. And possably also a way too slow down the rusting on my doors if I were to repair them or start over with new ones. Most important right now is my wet floor. I believe it came in from somewhere while it was raining,,but i am open to any help or oppinions. Thanks.

HolyRamBatman

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Welcome to RF. Third brake light is a common leaking problem. The back window is another. Is the back carpet wet as well? Is there a smell of antifreeze inside the truck? If so it's probably the heater core. I found my leak coming out of the condensate tube in engine compartment. It would come out of tube and roll back on the outside and into the cab. The grommet around the tube was shot. Good luck.

How could I forget the rear window??? I'm sealing mine tomorrow.

Last edited:

Brian N

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
Almost every Dodge that I have owned had a leak some where.
My Dakota had puddles in the front, I traced that one back to the rear window. I just took some clear silicone and sealed all around the window, problem gone.
My 01 - 2500 has puddles on both driver and passenger floors. They are big puddles too. Haven't really looked into that one yet, not a big deal.

OP
OP
M

Mikep1016

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
OMG ! Lots of leaks in these Dodge Trucks. : ) I just got my truck. 1998 and it has only 69,000 miles on it. I do not smell anti freeze so hopefully it is not the heater core. However,,the heat does not get very hot in the truck. I am going to try to find the condensation tube in the engine department and check that. Also,i will check the back floor too. What a shame....my truck is pretty clean too. Well,, I used to play around with Nissan hardbody pickups but they rotted out so bad . My last one had such a badly rotted frame that I just gave up on them alltogether. I never thought I would buy a big pickup truck but now that I did,,,I love it. I plan on getting a lift but I need to get some info first so I can see what will be best for me. Little by little......

HolyRamBatman

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
The condensate tube is on the firewall passenger side about headlight level. You won't find it hard to get lift info/ideas on RF. These guys got MAD skills. I wouldn't think condensate in cold weather. If you have had rain I would start around the windows/third brake route. Is it puddles or just wet? Try running water from a water hose over certain areas at a time and see if it leaks.

Last edited:
OP
OP
M

Mikep1016

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I would say just wet. Actually,,I didn't even know that it was wet till I was messing around in the passenger side and decided to take out the mat and clean the floor.It was wet. My 1994 Dodge did the same thing. I guess I have to go to a window at a time and check. If that doesn't do it then it must be coming from under the dash. ( I hope that's not so ) I appreciate you telling me some of the problems these trucks are known to have. I like the truck alot and it has low miles on it. If I can get everything straight I think it will last a few years. 69,551 miles. very clean inside. The guy hardly ever used the truck. He has 2 other ones.both chevy. He seems to like them better. His loss,, my gain.

Muddytazz

Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 Ram 2500HD 4x4
Engine
Hemi baby
My dodge's windshield leaks on the passenger side. Seal is failing on the pass A-pillar due to the windshield separating.

MADDOG

Not RamForum Staff
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
If you don't smell anti-freeze, then it's a leak.