Where is "Accessory Dimmer Relay" located?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

eSCAPEist

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L (360ci.) V8 Magnum
Hey guys, new to the forums here and new to the truck world. I did a quick search here to see if I could find any info regarding the "Accessory Dimmer Relay" on my "new" 1998 Ram 1500 SLT Laramie 4x4, but came up empty handed. I've been reviewing various websites for a little while now and still haven't found much info on my ordeal. My dome lights and key entry light are stuck on, as if the interior auto light dimmer has malfunctioned. I checked all of the door ajar buttons and they both seem to be working fine and are being pressed in when the doors are closed (plus I'm not getting a "door open" light or beeping or anything). Also, adjusting the headlight switch turn dial left and right, that adjusts dash light brightness, makes no difference either. I read where someone had a similar problem on another website and someone indicated that it sounds like the "accessory dimmer relay" has gone out, and would be a good place to start. I found that relay on RockAuto.com for a good price and am ready to order when I find out that I can replace it, but it doesn't seem to be in either fuse box locations. I am a newb to this truck, but I'm no stranger to engine and vehicle mechanics as I come from a performance car background, but I sure as hell don't claim to be an electrician! If someone with a little knowledge on the location of the "accessory delay relay" could help me out, that would be great. Also, I am always open to new opinions, for I do not claim to know-it-all, as some tend to be. I am always willing to learn. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks in advance. I have attached a link to RockAuto with this "accessory delay relay" for you visual learners.

1998 DODGE RAM 1500 PICKUP Accessory Delay Relay

leadrofthepak

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I am pretty sure that is tucked up under the dash on the driver side. Might have to remove some access panel to get to it.

OP
OP
eSCAPEist

eSCAPEist

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L (360ci.) V8 Magnum
I am pretty sure that is tucked up under the dash on the driver side. Might have to remove some access panel to get to it.

@leadrofthepack Nice, I'll have to check into it after work. Thanks for the quick reply.

Any other theories people?

jbmobbs

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 360
Behind the fuse door to the Left on the back side (hard to get to)

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk

OP
OP
eSCAPEist

eSCAPEist

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L (360ci.) V8 Magnum
Behind the fuse door to the Left on the back side (hard to get too)

Much appreciated. I'll be sure to check it out - is there any way to see it/get to it from looking up under the driver's side dash with a light, without removing panels?

Merc225hp

Reaction score
Ram Year
truck
Engine
gas
I thought on the 98+ trucks all this was controlled by the CTM.

OP
OP
eSCAPEist

eSCAPEist

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L (360ci.) V8 Magnum
I thought on the 98+ trucks all this was controlled by the CTM.

@Merc225hp You da' man. Now I'm currently researching all kinds of problems and info on this "Central Timing Module" mystery box - it sounds like a very likely suspect, as other sad souls 98+ symptoms seem very similar that I am reading. As for you other guys, thanks for the input as well. I'll keep you all posted on what I find out this afternoon (I know I'm not the only one who forum jumps at work... :hmm: ).

-eSCAPEist

OP
OP
eSCAPEist

eSCAPEist

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L (360ci.) V8 Magnum
Thanks for all of the info guys, but it did end up being the driver's side door ajar button. I performed one last inspection sweep starting with the simplest possibility and working inward, and I went straight to the driver's side door ajar button and pressed it fully in and about 20 seconds later, sure enough, the green key ring light went off, signaling that it was the problem (the dome lights still weren't working). Then, investigating why the dome lights were out, as I suspected it seems the previous owner cut the wiring like an idiot in the dome lamp harness so the light wouldn't be on all the time. So I spliced that back together and voilà, let there be light. I then fastened a plastic 3/16 thick stop on the driver's side door jamb where the door compresses the door ajar button, giving the door enough length to push in the button all the way, therefore creating an open circuit and allowing all of the interior lights to cut off when closed, and turn on when opened. All in all, this was a prime example of getting cut by Occam's Razor: whereas "entities should not be multiplied unnecessarily" or "the simplest answer is most likely correct".

Thanks again,
-eSCAPEist