02 24v hard start

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Mm88swrt

Reaction score
Ram Year
98 ram 2500 5.9 gas, 02 ram 2500 24v
Engine
5.9 gas, 24v cummins
So I just picked up an 02 24v. Had a hard start issue when I picked it up. Replaced the check valve, gaskets on the banjo that are on the back of the head. Checked all fuel line fittings and made sure they were tight. The lift pump has been replaced, not with an airdog or fass, unsure of the brand but its in the factory location. Looks like the original carter pump stlye. I've got 18psi at idle so I know I have fuel pressure. Any thoughts on what this could be? And worst case is there a way to test the injector pump?

jlbayes

Reaction score
Ram Year
2001 & 1997
Engine
5.9l cummins
When is the hard start? Hot? Cold? Is the lift pump running when cranking? You replaced the ofv on the injection pump?

OP
OP
M

Mm88swrt

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 gas, 24v cummins
When is the hard start? Hot? Cold? Is the lift pump running when cranking? You replaced the ofv on the injection pump?

The hard start is when cold. It cranks for a good 10 ish seconds then fires up. Also when warm though. After it sits for say 30min or so. Has the same hard starting issue. If its within about 30 minutes of turning it off she fires right up. I'm not sure if the l.p. is running when cranking. I know if I tap the starter it runs for the 20 seconds as it should. I could hook the gauge back up and see what it says while cranking and cold. And if your referring to the ofv on the side of the i.p. next to the test port(feed line) yes, replaced with a bosch valve. Also it was pushing 18 psi at idle, is that normal? I was doing some digging and was seeing that about 14 is normal at idle

jlbayes

Reaction score
Ram Year
2001 & 1997
Engine
5.9l cummins
14psi should be the bare minimum at load. 18psi is an excellent spot to be. To me it sounds like you have an air leak in the low pressure side. The fuel return on the back of the head is a common source, but you have already been there. Sounds like the lift pump on the block is a ddrp? Should have a tag on the side of it. Have you pressure checked the feed or the return lines? Any idea if there are new fuel lines run to the lift pump? Another common source for air leaks.

OP
OP
M

Mm88swrt

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 gas, 24v cummins
There are no new lines ran to the l.p. I just ordered a big line kit to go from the filter to the ip. Did notice fuel line #5 going into the head has fuel under it. Are these just a seal in there? That's really the only place I found that was wet. I crawled all over this truck today. I also bought a sump pickup for the fuel tank. I'm thinking of putting that it, moving the lift pump to the frame rail, and running 1/2 line all the way up to the ip. If you got any part #'s for the seals going from the hard line into the head it would help greatly! I'm all over the net trying to find them right now.

OP
OP
M

Mm88swrt

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 gas, 24v cummins
So I popped the #5 hard line from the feed tube, wiped off the compression fitting. Put it back together and torqued it down and re primed the system. The truck now starts just fine more than 24hrs later! Seems as though that was my issue. And yes the compression fitting was tight prior to everything found.

OP
OP
M

Mm88swrt

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 gas, 24v cummins
I would say its all fixed. Hopefully this chapter is closed! Thanks for your help bud! Now on to other issues. Like wheel bearings and ball joints! Gotta love them! I'm going to post another help thing because it seems my odometer isn't keeping track of anything! Speedo works and I replaced the sensor on the rear dif. I'm going to check the one out on the trans. I always thought Odom and Speedo went out simultaneously

jlbayes

Reaction score
Ram Year
2001 & 1997
Engine
5.9l cummins
I just put new ball joints and wheel bearings in my 97. Ball joints in the 00+ axles are a catch .22 with the design. Cheapest you can find with lifetime warranty. Preferably local parts store so when they need replaced again. Weird the odo isn't working. Is a function of the cluster to track it. Is fed the speed signal but it counts the mileage.