1994 Dodge Ram 1500 5.2L 4x4 stall and idle issue

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

BeardedKobold

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Magnum 5.2L V8
Hey I am new here but I can't find much to help as of right now, but here is my issue.

First, the problem: My truck dies while driving (no stuttering, the engine just cuts off and the truck still has power, just the engine completely shuts off for no apparent reason) and it also happens at stops, idling, or it won't start. Once it dies, it refuses to restart. This happens no matter the temperature outside or the temperature of the engine. This happens randomly. And there is no CEL at this time.

What has been fixed/replaced: Cleaned throttle body and plates and replaced the seal, replaced TPS and IAC, replaced relays for fuel pump and auto shutoff, new starter, and new fuel pump and filter as of 3 months ago. Checked all ground wires and connections, so no issues there. Have not yet changed distributor.

My next step is to replace the MAP and hope for more advice.

Merc225hp

Reaction score
Ram Year
truck
Engine
gas
Welcome to RF

What is dropping when this happens? Spark, fuel psi? You need to check these things when it happens. First thing that came to my mind was the CKPS, they don't throw a CEL nor can you test them. They cause just this type of problem. You could check the ign coil.

Edit; When it comes to replacing the sensors on these truck I only use Mopar parts, off brand sensors will just cause you more grief.

Whatever you do don't turn the Dizzy!!!! I does not control timing like the old motors do, the only part in there is the rotor and the Cam position sensor (controls the fuel injector's).

Last edited:
OP
OP
B

BeardedKobold

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Magnum 5.2L V8
Nothing drops. Spark, fuel, all fine. I will change CKPS next as well as clean the MAP but I do only use Mopar, I am not a fan of off brand.