• No

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Chevy

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Fix it

Votes: 3 60.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Zandt85

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 Magnum
Hey all changed my manifolds and exhaust clamps..... we tryed starting thinking we had the plug wires right and it wasent right we tryed like 3 times before looking up the diagram. Now its right but it starts up idles fine but has a tick.....is this a spark knock???? A warning that i broke the sensor???? Or Idk it runs good once u get past 1400 rpms but when u start to accel it just chops and puts and sometimes backfires but the tick is semi loud gets quieter as it gets warm im hoping for the best guys trucks only got 138xxx and i just got it and have been trying to tune her up and get it fixed..... we also changed the crankshaft position sensor any ideas let me know asap!!!!! ::Violin: I just bought it and changed the oil before this project......on the way home at a stop sign or idle the oil pressure would drop to zero but no knock no loss of power... I just changed oil before project... and Im hoping i didnt buy a lemon or got screwed over thanks again guys

codered

Reaction score
Ram Year
1998 QCSB
Engine
magnum 5.9/360
Sounds like the engine is loosing compression I may not be right. The Lincoln Aviators would loose compression and cause oil and fluids to lose pressure as well and blow head gaskets. Which on the 4.6 it's cheaper to buy a new engine. Just keep in mind I may not be right. :D best of luck.

OP
OP
Z

Zandt85

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 Magnum
Will a 318 motor work if i find one by chance?:superhack:

OP
OP
Z

Zandt85

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 Magnum
Could this still be something wrong misfiring like a knock sensor causing spark knock ???? Someone help me I must be able to fix thisss!!!:puke::puke:

codered

Reaction score
Ram Year
1998 QCSB
Engine
magnum 5.9/360
Could this still be something wrong misfiring like a knock sensor causing spark knock ???? Someone help me I must be able to fix thisss!!!:puke::puke:
I would try to get premuim gas and lucas fuel injector cleaner to see if that helps any. I'd drive on the interstate and open it up. If that doesn't help you can always take it to an autozone and have then diagnose them with a computer since you have an OBD II engine computer.

OP
OP
Z

Zandt85

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 Magnum
I will try 89 and lucas injector cleaner where do i put the injector cleaner in the gas tank>? It has no lack of power so compression and oil pressure seem fine just a loud annoying tick sounds like a suzuki ltz 400 timing chain slap

OP
OP
Z

Zandt85

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 Magnum
I mean its pretty loud tick but I just put lucas oil stabilizer in quieted it down some how much are the lower bearings or a valve adjustment really going to cost it cant take more than 2=3 hours>?

OP
OP
Z

Zandt85

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 Magnum
IT also very empty on fuel so let me know what you guys think...

codered

Reaction score
Ram Year
1998 QCSB
Engine
magnum 5.9/360
I will try 89 and lucas injector cleaner where do i put the injector cleaner in the gas tank>? It has no lack of power so compression and oil pressure seem fine just a loud annoying tick sounds like a suzuki ltz 400 timing chain slap
yeah in the tank.

codered

Reaction score
Ram Year
1998 QCSB
Engine
magnum 5.9/360
I mean its pretty loud tick but I just put lucas oil stabilizer in quieted it down some how much are the lower bearings or a valve adjustment really going to cost it cant take more than 2=3 hours>?
what oil are you running? I heard quite some stories of engines making loud noises because of the wrong engine oil.

dodge dude94

Millennial Boomer
Reaction score
Ram Year
1998 Ram 1500
Engine
5.9 Magnum
Put the highest octane you can find in it and see what happens. Ping sounds like marbles in a tin can, if it doesn't sound like that it's something else.

OP
OP
Z

Zandt85

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 Magnum
i put 10w 30 in and maybe they stoked it up with thick stabilizer idk man i think i messed it up with running it with the plug wires being on the wrong cylinder how could that make it tick?!?

codered

Reaction score
Ram Year
1998 QCSB
Engine
magnum 5.9/360
i put 10w 30 in and maybe they stoked it up with thick stabilizer idk man i think i messed it up with running it with the plug wires being on the wrong cylinder how could that make it tick?!?

Maybe. Never had the wires on the wrong cylinder before. If you add a lot of stablilizer it may mess up the engine. What part of the country do you live in?

OP
OP
Z

Zandt85

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 Magnum
Hey so I took it to a shop and he said its the lifters and there are getting stuck and ticking...... what would fix this ?:superhack:

OP
OP
Z

Zandt85

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 Magnum
I live in upstate ny It runs like a top besides the tick

Merc225hp

Reaction score
Ram Year
truck
Engine
gas
Could be as easy as changing your oil type and weight to pulling the intake manifold and replacing all the lifters.

For oil specs find a good 5w40 high detergent oil and give it a try. Seek DD94 for what he is using in his truck oil wise, Shell Rotela T-5 I think it is.

codered

Reaction score
Ram Year
1998 QCSB
Engine
magnum 5.9/360
Hey so I took it to a shop and he said its the lifters and there are getting stuck and ticking...... what would fix this ?:superhack:

I live in upstate ny It runs like a top besides the tick
More than likely. Merc pointed out some good facts. I was gonna say try 15w40 but since you live in NY in the winter it would be hard for the engine to crank. Mopar oil for our 2nd gens are mobil but Chrysler couldn't pay to keep them. Now for newer rams mopar oil is shell. But any oil brand would be fine that super tech oil is just as good if not better than shell or any brand matter of fact. Me I like valvoline.

Last edited:

WarrenRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
N/A
Engine
N/A
I've added about a half quart of marvel mystery oil to the crankcase and ran it for a few miles in the past, then changed the oil. It's helped with lifter tick on more than one engine in my days. YMMV.