1999 Ram 1500 5.9 will not start..please help

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

wolfe2118

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I consider myself to be pretty intelligent but this problem is getting to me. The truck is a 99 1500 with a 5.9. It cranks and attempts to start but will only start on starting fluid with the fuel pump relay pulled. The second I put the relay back in and fuel pressure shoots up(I have a gauge hooked up), it stalls. Pull the relay and it will start once the pressure drops to about 10 psi(obviously it stalls once it burns up the fuel).
I have spark, obviously have fuel, and the fuel tank was drained and new fuel put in. The cap, rotor, plugs, and wires are all new and go where they are supposed to go. Does anyone have any idea what could be going on or what to try?

Bushbunny

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Magnum 5.2
Try resetting the computer by diconnecting the battery..

Bush

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
with fuel injection, your supposed to have somewhere around 50 psi if I'm not mistaken. If it's going over that, you may need a fuel pressure regulator, but check to make sure the return line back to the tank isn't plugged.

dudeman2009

Reaction score
Ram Year
2001 1500 Sport with enough electrical modifications to make my brain hurt
Engine
Magnum 360
I dont know on these electric injectors, but the older mechanical injectors on the semi's would have problems that would cause what i'd imagine would be this in gasoline vehicles.

Either gelling fuel or contaminates entering the injector can cause problems at higher input pressures. I'm not sure how the valving works on these low pressure gasoline variants, but it has been known for debris to cause the injectors to fail to open when at normal operating pressure, but work somewhat when the pressure is bled down.

Perhaps its time for a cleaning?

dapepper9

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L V8
What color is your spark? What is your fuel pressure when you ler it prime before pulling the relay? Starting fluid is a bit more combustible than gasoline and will ignite with a weak spark where gas won't. Also, do not use starting fluid. It's extremely hard on pistons.