1999 Ram 3500 V-10 stuttering

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Scottroadking05

Reaction score
Ram Year
1999 Ram 3500
Engine
8.0 V-10
I'm new to the Forum and would like to see if y'all might know what's going on with my Ram V-10. It will intermittently stutter during acceleration otherwise it runs great. the truck only has about 74,000 miles on it. Any thoughts???

dudeman2009

Reaction score
Ram Year
2001 1500 Sport with enough electrical modifications to make my brain hurt
Engine
Magnum 360
First thing would be to pull and check the spark plugs and plug wires. If those are in good shape you might try seafoaming it. On the v10s those are the cheapest and most common causes of intermittent stuttering.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

V10so_utah

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
V-10 8.0L
Use a multimeter to test the idle air control and throttle position sensor. I don't remember the exact numbers but the sensors need a specific range of voltage to get accurate readings.

You probably already know the way a cable throttle functions. But this is how I understand it.

The TPS measures the movement and position of the throttle plates as the driver presses on, and releases the accelerator pedal.

The TPS fits on the end of the throttle plate pivot and translates that movement into voltage. (Some kind of witchcraft or alien technology in my opinion).

The ever so slightly changing voltage is sent to the PCM. That tells the PCM how much fuel to allow through the fuel injectors.

The IAC works similarly I believe. If you don't have a multimeter or the patience to research what the voltage needs to be... just buy new sensors. They are inexpensive ($15-20) and easy to replace.

If that doesn't work, the intake manifold or possibly even the valve covers aren't torqued down.

Lastly, you might have a blown gasket somewhere between the throttle body and the head.

Gotta love these beasts, right? If you have any questions let me know. I've torn mine apart a few times. Each time I find a new project (problem), I have to take a moment to appreciate the opportunity for education and mechanical knowledge.

Did it work? The problem here can be solved with optimism. Hooray!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk