2000 Dodge Ram v10 engine 'bucking'?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

RebelRam01

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Magnum 5.9
I have a 2000 Dodge Ram v10 which is a total ******* lemon, I hate to say it. The motor has blown already, which was replaced with a low mile motor and the transmission has also went out which was replaced by a Jasper tranny. Ever since I had this truck, new tranny and old, it gets a little funny around 45 mph. It will shift between gears rather hard, hard enough it sounds like the engine can't keep up with it. It is an automatic as well. I've looked online and so much in this truck has been replaced I can't see how anything is still wrong with it. I heard of a term called 'bucking' which seems to me what it is doing. It will throw you in your seat when it shifts from 3rd to 4th. All other gears are fine. Every now and again it won't shift at all, the rpm's will fly up before it decides to go into gear. It will most likely go back to the shop being the transmission is under warranty. I have heard of replacing a type of govenor and a pressure solenoid as well, does anyone have any input?
It's about ready to go into the junkyard.

Attachments

• lemon.jpg
    lemon.jpg
    69.7 KB · Views: 10

DodgeTx

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L Cummins, 5.2l v8
I've got a 96 v10 dually rwd, mine shifts between gears I would imagine 2 and 3 maybe 4 at 40mph, and then it will randomly downshift and shift back up. I did a trans filter and fluid change and it helped take the edge off. I do know these trucks trans are supposed to have bands adjusted about every 30k miles. I did not do it simply because I don't know how. The truck has 199k miles and always starts, I have a wheel lift unit for towing cars on it, and it hasn't let me down.

If you decide to scrap it, I will come get it for a couple hundred more than what they are offering:)

DodgeTx

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L Cummins, 5.2l v8
I would also check the trans fluid level after driving it a bit in neutral. If its low it can cause these same issues.

I replaced the sensors you speak of in my 46re 4x4 flatbed, I don't know if it helped or not, but it surely can't hurt anything except your wallet.

dapepper9

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L V8
Governor solenoid and transducer is a good start as far as part replacement goes. At the same time, proper fluid and filter change WITH band adjustment all finished up with a tv cable adjustment at the throttle body.

Cascade transmissions sells a kit for the governor and provides a video on youtube. Band adjustment is in the factory service manual, which is available for download on this forum. Jasper provides a good video on youtube for TV cable adjustment as well.

jlbayes

Reaction score
Ram Year
2001 & 1997
Engine
5.9l cummins
So we a have a huge problem on the diesels with a/c voltage bleed from the alternator. I would strongly recommend checking it. Idc if the alternator is new or recently been replaced. We have found new parts that were failed out of the box. Check the a/c voltage output.

Salsa

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Mine was a 2000 V10 I bought new in 1999. I had my fluid changed & bands adjusted as required. I had a suspension squeak that drove me nuts off & on for 17 yrs. At 45 mph I had a little shake that disappeared as I sped up. In the last few years things like alternator, AC compressor, rear end leaks, thermostat, brakes (never really worked properly again), AC fluid leak we could never find even with dye, belts, etc. I finally traded it in Aug 31, 2017 for what I wanted out of it. It ran perfectly cruising the 242 miles to the dealer. On the way my wife said maybe we should keep it. I continued on, it's gone and I have my new 17 1500 Express 5.7 Hemi. Best wishes.