2001 5.2 sport misfiring, won't run.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

DarrenT

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
318 V8
So, I was driving my dad's 01 sport in to work today when it decided to give out. It ran fine all the way, then 100 meters short of work parking lot it started misfiring, throttle application caused knock/pre-detonation, won't idle at all.
Had to get a tow from one of the guys at the local truck center.
It threw out an engine management light, so I'll hook that up later and see what codes it has listed.
I'm pretty someone here will have seen this before, any help would be greatly appreciated.

DT

codered

Reaction score
Ram Year
1998 QCSB
Engine
magnum 5.9/360
So, I was driving my dad's 01 sport in to work today when it decided to give out. It ran fine all the way, then 100 meters short of work parking lot it started misfiring, throttle application caused knock/pre-detonation, won't idle at all.
Had to get a tow from one of the guys at the local truck center.
It threw out an engine management light, so I'll hook that up later and see what codes it has listed.
I'm pretty someone here will have seen this before, any help would be greatly appreciated.

DT

we can never know for sure until you read the code. but, the engine may have carbon deposits that need to be cleaned like throttle body, Egr valve, spark plugs and so forth. you should try if you have the extra money to put higher octane fuel or petrol in there to give the system more octane to flush it out a bit.

OP
OP
D

DarrenT

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
318 V8
we can never know for sure until you read the code. but, the engine may have carbon deposits that need to be cleaned like throttle body, Egr valve, spark plugs and so forth. you should try if you have the extra money to put higher octane fuel or petrol in there to give the system more octane to flush it out a bit.

Codes to follow. Appreciate the tips.
:favorites13:

OP
OP
D

DarrenT

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
318 V8
I got a P0455 Evaporative emission control system leak.....
So I guess my lunchtime gym habit will be exchanged for vac line testing today.... Duct tape at the ready, it only has to get me 20km home....
Anyone else had a similar issue?

OP
OP
D

DarrenT

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
318 V8
So, there was a line off the evap canister, which I replaced, now it just won't start. Fuel system is powered, can hear the pump running... There is pressure in the fuel rail. Just no fire. leads are new, have worked like a champ for almost 3 months.

Merc225hp

Reaction score
Ram Year
truck
Engine
gas
You can hear the fuel pump run but have no fuel psi at the rail. Put a gallon or two of gas in the tank see if that helps. If not time to drop the tank and see what's going on with the fuel pump module. The engine does not need to be running to make fuel psi.

OP
OP
D

DarrenT

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
318 V8
You can hear the fuel pump run but have no fuel psi at the rail. Put a gallon or two of gas in the tank see if that helps. If not time to drop the tank and see what's going on with the fuel pump module. The engine does not need to be running to make fuel psi.

Yep, I did that and there's now pressure at the fuel rail. but no fire. IAC?

Merc225hp

Reaction score
Ram Year
truck
Engine
gas
Cycle the key a few time get some fuel up there not just air. They can be a ***** to get started after they run dry and will stumble on startup.

Check for spark.

OP
OP
D

DarrenT

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
318 V8
Cycle the key a few time get some fuel up there not just air. They can be a ***** to get started after they run dry and will stumble on startup.

Check for spark.

I tried, and tried, and tried, and will try again tomorrow with the aid of a battery booster pack.... Every few turns it'll stumble and sound like it's gonna pick up. Then it just dies off again. I've read evap posts until my eyes bled this afternoon, a very sensitive system and a complete PITA by all accounts.

Thanks

OP
OP
D

DarrenT

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
318 V8
The pig runs!!!! seems like the sender unit is duff, 1/4 = empty..... first few gallons didnt register, but the next lot did... wondering if the pickup is faulty.... time to pull the pump I think.....

OP
OP
D

DarrenT

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
318 V8
Well at least you found the issue I bid you the best

Embarrassingly... I've got to admit, never ran clean out of gas before... I should know better than to trust the gauge I suppose. The old fire triangle is always reliable, Air & Heat mean jack without fuel!!!

Merc225hp

Reaction score
Ram Year
truck
Engine
gas
I think you will find your fuel pump is dying/working intermittently. Replace it DO NOT get a Airtex total junk and you will be redoing it in a month.