2001 dodge ram 1500 5.9 4x4 oil

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Coletrain523

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
magnum 5.9
I have a 2001 dodge ram 1500 with the 5.9 and i was wondering what would be the best brand of oil and filter to use on this truck. i curently run pennzoil and a fram filter. but have read very bad things about fram so i plan on replacing that with something else. but wanted some opinions from others on what would work well with this motor penzoil,castrol,moblie1 etc...
thanks.

rowdyram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
magnum 5.9
Wix filters are good and I use valvoline oil in everything.
This is a loaded question though. You will get a lot of opinion and not a lot of fact.

dapepper9

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L V8
This is a loaded question though. You will get a lot of opinion and not a lot of fact.

Few truer words have even been said lol. The only thing that I find clear about it is don't use fram filters. Fram filters are junk. Other than that I just get Oreillys brand stuff since there's one just a couple blocks away.

Merc225hp

Reaction score
Ram Year
truck
Engine
gas
yep one more op for you.

Mobil 1 filter
K&N
Wix
Fram Gold

Oil; tried lots over the years now using Liqui Moly Synthoil Premium 5W-40

MagSport

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Wix is the best, but I use the mopar filters too and have no issues. I like trying to use as many mopar parts as possible on my truck but it's not necessary.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yeret

The Village Drunk
Reaction score
Under the hood fixing/breaking something.
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 Magnum
A mechanic friend of mine always says "clean oil is good oil." Doesn't matter what you use as long as you keep it changed regularly.

That being said, I use Valvoline conventional 5-30 in the winter, 10-30 rest of the year and the blue Mopar filters. No problems here.

And I've heard nothing but bad things about Fram. Funny because they're among the more expensive filters at my O'Reilly's and Wal-Mart.

dodge dude94

Millennial Boomer
Reaction score
Ram Year
1998 Ram 1500
Engine
5.9 Magnum
Personally I like my Rotella T6 5W40 and Wix 51515 filter combo. Truck seems to like it too

rowdyram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
magnum 5.9
Like i stated before you'll get lots of opinions, something I forgot to add, but I usually suggest a used oil analysis to people who ask me this. Every engine is different oil blends change about every 6 months and you need to know what's best for you. I suggest you go to blackstonelabs.com order a free kit. Find an oil you want to use run it take the sample, pay $35 and send it in. Get the TBN and TAN. You'll get a good idea of correct oil change intervals as well as an over all engine condition.

That said there are some things about oil I can tell you are fact(just recently I attended a engine lubrication seminar).
The specified weight on the bottle has little meaning. A 5w20 can be thicker than a 10w30.
The centistoke measurement is what counts, don't buy into the synthetic BS, there are no regulations in america on synthetics I can **** in a bottle and sell it for $10 a qt and call it synthetic race oil.
Though some synthetic oils are good they're also a waste of money. I suggest an oil that meets Chrysler ms-6395 standards. I run valvoline 5w20 6395 compliant and Blackstone says my engine is beautiful inside at 150k of towing hauling and SEVERE abuse off road.
This sir is fact.

Merc225hp

Reaction score
Ram Year
truck
Engine
gas
Like i stated before you'll get lots of opinions, something I forgot to add, but I usually suggest a used oil analysis to people who ask me this. Every engine is different oil blends change about every 6 months and you need to know what's best for you. I suggest you go to blackstonelabs.com order a free kit. Find an oil you want to use run it take the sample, pay $35 and send it in. Get the TBN and TAN. You'll get a good idea of correct oil change intervals as well as an over all engine condition.

That said there are some things about oil I can tell you are fact(just recently I attended a engine lubrication seminar).
The specified weight on the bottle has little meaning. A 5w20 can be thicker than a 10w30.
The centistoke measurement is what counts, don't buy into the synthetic BS, there are no regulations in america on synthetics I can **** in a bottle and sell it for $10 a qt and call it synthetic race oil.
Though some synthetic oils are good they're also a waste of money. I suggest an oil that meets Chrysler ms-6395 standards. I run valvoline 5w20 6395 compliant and Blackstone says my engine is beautiful inside at 150k of towing hauling and SEVERE abuse off road.
This sir is fact.

I learnd about this when researching syn oils, just blew me away. The oil I use is not the same as you get down there. Almost the same bottle and labeling but they are diff oils. The oil I use has the same spec as it has over in Europe but not the same as the US oil.

Edit: For those looking to do some deep reading on oils search for Bob the oil guy web site, major info there.

Last edited:

rowdyram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
magnum 5.9
I learnd about this when researching syn oils, just blew me away. The oil I use is not the same as you get down there. Almost the same bottle and labeling but they are diff oils. The oil I use has the same spec as it has over in Europe but not the same as the US oil.

Edit: For those looking to do some deep reading on oils search for Bob the oil guy web site, major info there.
Ya Bob is the oil guy is a great source of info.
And ya I think not having regs on that is crap but yes Europe does so that stuff seems to be pretty good. Enos for example is a great synthetic but synthetic is still a waste of money.

Merc225hp

Reaction score
Ram Year
truck
Engine
gas
^^^ I have tried most brand name syn oil's, they left me less than impressed. Thought I would give Liqui Moly a try and I like it and its results same price as the other brand name syn oils and its easy for me to get. Most times I say good old dino oil is best for most.

Just an op nothing more and my personal choice.

dodge dude94

Millennial Boomer
Reaction score
Ram Year
1998 Ram 1500
Engine
5.9 Magnum
Rotella T6 is like 18 bucks for a gallon jug at the Walmart. haha Truck likes it so I'll keep using it.

crazzywolfie

Reaction score
Ram Year
81 93
Engine
i personally stay away from very cheap no name oils. i tried some that walmart sold once and my truck seemed to complain a lot more than it did with other oils.

i found a place that sells Liqui Moly and i don't see myself running the stuff too soon. the stuff is like $100/oil change. that don't even include the nearly $20 for a good filter

Merc225hp

Reaction score
Ram Year
truck
Engine
gas
About $70 with my discount at Napa and $12 for a Mobil 1 filter, but your right not cheap and not for everyone.

dodge dude94

Millennial Boomer
Reaction score
Ram Year
1998 Ram 1500
Engine
5.9 Magnum
Wix filter I use is like 6 bucks at O'reillys I think.

crazzywolfie

Reaction score
Ram Year
81 93
Engine
ya. i can get about 2 cheaper but fairly good synthetic oil changes for about the same cost as 1 with the liqui moly. i did finally convert to synthetic oil in my 93 and so far no noticeable difference other than i think the synthetic filter i used held less oil than a the wix ones i was use to running before. with a normal 51515 wix filter i usually get a full 6 quarts in the engine but with the synthetic filter it was only like 5 1/2 at most. i am guessing this has to do with the increased amount of filter pleats in the filter.

Arlucian

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
What about synthetic blend? I'm not a huge fan of going from conventional to synthetic when you've got any kind of oil consumption inlcuding leaks. So i was going to get the "high mileage" synthetic blend i used this in a chevy company vehicle and it did awesomely but how will it act in my 5.2?

Merc225hp

Reaction score
Ram Year
truck
Engine
gas
Just me but no blend here waste of cash, so full on dino oil or full on syn oil.