2001 Ram 2500 Bucking @ 45-55 mph

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

srv010

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 magunum
Hi, Just picked up a nice 2001 RAM 2500 2 wd Cummins 12 valve, auto transmission . On the way home I noticed at around 45mph it started bucking when I was just cruse in along and it lasted till 60mph. If on the throttle it won't buck at all , so I stopped and got some Lucis injector cleaner and lubricator stuff. Any Ideas as to whats going on? Please help! Thanks a lot!!

Mohpar

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Magnum 5.9
Sounds a little like what my truck used to do. Does it do it in overdrive? If accelerating from 0-60+ steadily does it buck in between the range you mentioned?

If it only does it in overdrive, it could be your overdrive gear. I am assuming it'll either be that or a specific gear that is slipping.

12v in a 2001? Cool ! But since it was a swap the trans might have alot of miles on it.

OP
OP
S

srv010

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 magunum
Hi, Yes its in Overdrive when it does it! Its all original, was told. Thanks! I will have to look into it, I changed fluid and filter in trans. today too.

dudeman2009

Reaction score
Ram Year
2001 1500 Sport with enough electrical modifications to make my brain hurt
Engine
Magnum 360
Hi, Yes its in Overdrive when it does it! Its all original, was told. Thanks! I will have to look into it, I changed fluid and filter in trans. today too.

Try hitting the overdrive off button if it still works. If that fixes it, then its the overdrive clutch being funny.

dodge dude94

Millennial Boomer
Reaction score
Ram Year
1998 Ram 1500
Engine
5.9 Magnum
For what it's worth, mine does the exact same thing. Has for 6 years even with a new trans and with OD off. Never have figured out why it does it.

rodbuilder

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins
Hi, Just picked up a nice 2001 RAM 2500 2 wd Cummins 12 valve, auto transmission . On the way home I noticed at around 45mph it started bucking when I was just cruse in along and it lasted till 60mph. If on the throttle it won't buck at all , so I stopped and got some Lucis injector cleaner and lubricator stuff. Any Ideas as to whats going on? Please help! Thanks a lot!!

If you think YOUR luck sucks I just paid $2550 to have my tranny rebuilt and it's doing the same thing!!!

crazy_luck

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
For what it's worth, mine does the exact same thing. Has for 6 years even with a new trans and with OD off. Never have figured out why it does it.

Since you have the 5.9 gas engine, you might be experiencing something different - my '92 Dakota did exactly what the OP's truck is doing - turned out the previous owner replaced the distributor and put it in 180° off - truck would run just fine but at cruising throttle, it would buck wild enough traffic around me would slow down and give me room.

Obviously, this won't be the cause on the diesel trucks, but if you've put this much time into the gas engine truck and still haven't figured it out, might give you another avenue to explore.

dodge dude94

Millennial Boomer
Reaction score
Ram Year
1998 Ram 1500
Engine
5.9 Magnum
Since you have the 5.9 gas engine, you might be experiencing something different - my '92 Dakota did exactly what the OP's truck is doing - turned out the previous owner replaced the distributor and put it in 180° off - truck would run just fine but at cruising throttle, it would buck wild enough traffic around me would slow down and give me room.

Obviously, this won't be the cause on the diesel trucks, but if you've put this much time into the gas engine truck and still haven't figured it out, might give you another avenue to explore.

It only does it between 45-50 at really light throttle. Pick up the gas and it stops. It doesn't happen often enough for me to worry. Feels like a bounce

dexter

Banned
Reaction score
It only does it between 45-50 at really light throttle. Pick up the gas and it stops. It doesn't happen often enough for me to worry. Feels like a bounce

I felt the same thing on my truck just today. I did a 165 mile trip and it only happened on a particular stretch of road. Check out my sig line for truck info.

Is it possible it is just a stretch of highway where the speed and bumps in the road make the truck osculate in a bumpy way? I did a 165 mile trip and it only happened on a particular stretch of road.

dodge dude94

Millennial Boomer
Reaction score
Ram Year
1998 Ram 1500
Engine
5.9 Magnum
I felt the same thing on my truck just today. I did a 165 mile trip and it only happened on a particular stretch of road. Check out my sig line for truck info.

Is it possible it is just a stretch of highway where the speed and bumps in the road make the truck osculate in a bumpy way? I did a 165 mile trip and it only happened on a particular stretch of road.

I've had it happen on multiple roads but honestly I've never noticed if it does it on on certain roads.

Mohpar

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Magnum 5.9
I've never noticed it on a specific road either. But it was super annoying and I usually left OD off but if I wanted to punch the throttle I had to turn OD on. Really weird and kind of interesting that other people had the same problem. Mine used to shake the whole truck and it was from speeds 38-50mph under light throttle, but if I gave it the gas it would stop.

dexter

Banned
Reaction score
I've had it happen on multiple roads but honestly I've never noticed if it does it on on certain roads.

The only reason I mention specific roads is because back in the day - I'm 61 - highway roads had seams and the slabs became uneven; causing similar bucking in cars. The particular springs on the 2500, speed and road conditions may be the cause.

Next time it happens notice if the roadway is concrete and may be worn with some truck ruts. Also, notice if you are in the right lane, middle or left. Change lanes without doing anything else and notice if the bucking continues. If it continues it may not be the roadway. If it is the road the right lane with all the truck traffic would most likely be the cause.

My truck only has 750 miles on it.

Last edited:

Joe w.

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
318 5.2l
Mine has done this before but even on the same road it has and hasn't. Been doing this off&on for several months now