2nd gen - performance intake - fix plenum leak?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

rambob

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
318 5.2l
I was cruising through summit racing site - maybe saw some options for a performance intake for the 318. its not much more than the hughes plenum fix, so I started thinking. it has to be removed either way. do the aftermarket intakes fix the plenum problem?

wermbang

Reaction score
Ram Year
2001 Off Road
Engine
5.9L V8 Sport
Yes because it gets rid of the plenum.

WhiteExpress

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
The factory design is an aluminum manifold with a steel plenum plate.
Cheap, but stupid due to the different rates of expansion. Thus the gasket is continually being asked to flex far more than a normal one would.

Most aftermarket fixes use a plate aluminum plenum cover, thus removing the issue of different coefficients of expansion.

There are 2 intake manifolds available for the Magnum motors, one Edelbrock (at least it used to be) and the Mopar Performance M-1. Both do not have a plenum plate, thus it'll never leak.

2000DirtyDodge

Reaction score
Ram Year
2000 1500 Club Cab SLT
Engine
5.9/Auto/2WD
Im very interested in the aftermarket manifolds. I would rather spend 299 on an Edlebrock RPM AirGap intake or the M-1 then put that crappy dodge one back on.

There are a few that fit our engine on the summit racing site...

WhiteExpress

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Im very interested in the aftermarket manifolds. I would rather spend 299 on an Edlebrock RPM AirGap intake or the M-1 then put that crappy dodge one back on.

There are a few that fit our engine on the summit racing site...

You have to be careful with Summit, They list the Carborator manifolds too. Since they do technically fit our trucks. They just don't accept the injectors!

I don't know of the Edlebrock RPM AirGap has a fuel injected app. I know some engine maker was drilling the bosses so you could use the factory injection, but I don't believe it was being sold that way.

I agree. The factory design is very silly. While it's a good manifold design (overall) for a pickup truck, it's really crappy flowing at the top end.