2wd to 4wd conversion possible?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

rammanriley20

Reaction score
Ram Year
1999 Ram 1500
Engine
5.9 Mag
well just for ***** and giggles ive been kicking around the idea of doing a 4wd conversion on my ram. its a 2wd 1999 reg cab short bed 1500. this is the CLEANEST dodge i have EVER seen so i would like to keep it for as long as possible, and with the near 17k i have in it i dont have the money for a 4wd as nice as this. so i was wondering if a 4wd swap is even possible? i think id need a new front and rear end as well as tranny, not sure about the motor. its a gas 5.9 im just wondering if this could be done for a couple thousand bucks??? copy and paste this link to see a pic of my truck in question! thanks for looking!

http://www.ramforum.com/members/rammanriley20-albums-my_ram.html

gunner1374

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI 5.7
well just for ***** and giggles ive been kicking around the idea of doing a 4wd conversion on my ram. its a 2wd 1999 reg cab short bed 1500. this is the CLEANEST dodge i have EVER seen so i would like to keep it for as long as possible, and with the near 17k i have in it i dont have the money for a 4wd as nice as this. so i was wondering if a 4wd swap is even possible? i think id need a new front and rear end as well as tranny, not sure about the motor. its a gas 5.9 im just wondering if this could be done for a couple thousand bucks??? copy and paste this link to see a pic of my truck in question! thanks for looking!

http://www.ramforum.com/members/rammanriley20-albums-my_ram.html

Sure it could be done for a couple thousand dollars. I see older Dodge 4X4s around here al the time for a couple thousand or less. Easiest way would be buy a complete truck, nice or wrecked(cheaper), and swap everything needed. Maybe, if the donor was nice enough, you could use your removed parts to get it running as a 2wd, sell it, and get some of your money back? Good luck!

OP
OP
rammanriley20

rammanriley20

Reaction score
Ram Year
1999 Ram 1500
Engine
5.9 Mag
Sure it could be done for a couple thousand dollars. I see older Dodge 4X4s around here al the time for a couple thousand or less. Easiest way would be buy a complete truck, nice or wrecked(cheaper), and swap everything needed. Maybe, if the donor was nice enough, you could use your removed parts to get it running as a 2wd, sell it, and get some of your money back? Good luck!

alright dude thanks! i think ill look into having it done! i will need a different tranny correect? but not i different motor i think?

rowdyram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
magnum 5.9
You will need a 4x4 trans, t-case w/shifter, front axle, suspension, front and maybe rear drive lines

rameater

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6 cyl.
By the sound of things, you have a pretty decent truck. I can only assume you are prepared to make this conversion yourself at a $2,000. budget. Sorry to rain on your parade, but the labor alone for a project like that would be 2K. Modification to the front suspension would be necessary, including brake system. Parts alone from a decent boneyard will exceed your budget. So ok, you get a used truck and do a complete swap. This almost always turns out to be a nightmare come true unless you are a professional in a well equipped shop. Then consider the truck you are going to morph into your 4X4. A ragged out old nag will run close to 2K. Surely you don't want to cover a pile of crap with a silk hankie!
Better shop for another truck if you need 4x4. A sucker will give you what you want for your truck if you keep it polished and hold out long enough.

OP
OP
rammanriley20

rammanriley20

Reaction score
Ram Year
1999 Ram 1500
Engine
5.9 Mag
ive decided to just do a dana rear end swap to get posi and im gonna upgrade the front suspension a little. theres no way ill find a decent 2500 anywhere here in iowa with little rust.