3.9 over heating

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

turboshop

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hi all have 2001 1500 3.9 V6 and a over heating problem,had no trouble till we had a ice storm and didn't drive the truck, now i have a over heating problem and its strange lower rad hose ice cold and heater hose same side is ice cold, the top radiator hose super hot as is the heater hose on that side and no heat,
checked the thermostat and tested it on stove and its working, i even took it out and its still doing same thing, temp will climb to 3/4 and then back down to a little below a half,ive by passed the heater core and its didn't change nothing, have no leaks its got me stumped, any suggestions would be greatly appreciated and thanks

dudeman2009

Reaction score
Ram Year
2001 1500 Sport with enough electrical modifications to make my brain hurt
Engine
Magnum 360
If the inlet to the radiator is hot but the outlet is not above ambient temperature, the radiator is probably bad. The other possibility is a bad water pump.

You can test this by disconnecting the heater core hose on the passenger side of the block where it splices together. Then start the truck, it should start blowing coolant out that line, if not, the water pump is likely bad.

If it started after a bad freeze, its possible your coolant froze and damaged the pump. You can take a look at the freeze plugs to see if they appear blown out or are bowed.

You can check the radiator by removing both hoses from it and spraying water in the top with a garden hose, it should flow out as quickly as it flow in.