46RE 2-3 shift problem

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Lethalweapon100

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
V8 5.9 Magnum
Hi everyone. 1997 Ram 2500 5.9 V8. 46re. Today i did fluid and filter, along with a band adjustment. Im confident everything is correct, including band setting and fluid level.

When it goes to shift from 2nd to 3rd, it will only shift under very light throttle or no throttle. Even with light throttle, it will rev right to redline. Just...slowly. Itll shift once you take your foot off of it, and after that, shifts fine. Just 2-3 is sticky for some reason. It kiiiiind of did this before the work, but only under heavy throttle. Now it occurs under anything over very light throttle.

Thoughts?

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk

SportRam00

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Magnum 360
Recheck fluid level when trans is warm. Make sure your Throttle Valve cable is adjusted properly (only a slight miss adjustment can cause shifting changes/issues). Make sure to check the band adjustment again. Your adjustment could have changed when you when tightening the retaining nut on the band adjustment screws.

Sounds like a throttle valve cable adjustment problem. When I was messing around with mine, I found if it was too tight, my 2-3 shift would be delayed (aka wouldn't shift until a fairly high RPM or speed).

OP
OP
L

Lethalweapon100

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
V8 5.9 Magnum
What did you set the band to?
What it said in the hughes sm. I think the lr band was like 2 turns out and the other one was 2 7/8. After you torque it to 72 in lb that is.

OP
OP
L

Lethalweapon100

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
V8 5.9 Magnum
Recheck fluid level when trans is warm. Make sure your Throttle Valve cable is adjusted properly (only a slight miss adjustment can cause shifting changes/issues). Make sure to check the band adjustment again. Your adjustment could have changed when you when tightening the retaining nut on the band adjustment screws.

Sounds like a throttle valve cable adjustment problem. When I was messing around with mine, I found if it was too tight, my 2-3 shift would be delayed (aka wouldn't shift until a fairly high RPM or speed).
How do i adjust that cable? I started having odd shifting problems when i removed the cables from my throttle body to remove my intake. Wouldnt shock me if that was it.

SportRam00

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Magnum 360
The cable adjustment is VERY sensitive. A movement of even 1/8th of an inch can have an effect. I think the FSM states that the end of the cable (where it snaps on to the tb) should be within 1mm of the tb post.