46RE to G360 Swap???

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

lucemsequimur

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
360 Magnum
Hey guys,

I've always wanted to swap in an NV4500 into my 2nd gen 1500 with a 360, but they're super expensive. Meanwhile, I found a Getrag G360 from a 1993 1st gen Cummins for just $300 and it's in decent shape. Will this work with a 360 Magnum? Sorry I'm a noob at this stuff.

Thanks,
Sam

dodge dude94

Millennial Boomer
Reaction score
Ram Year
1998 Ram 1500
Engine
5.9 Magnum
I kinda doubt it as the Cummins transmissions, no matter what they are, have a larger input shaft as a rule. Plus a different bellhousing.

Not a drop-in deal by any means.

OP
OP
L

lucemsequimur

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
360 Magnum
So, not a drop in deal, but what would make it work? Are there any bellhousings that'd make it fit, and what would you do about the input shaft?

xb1230

Hobby Mechanic
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
I'm guessing both the Bell housing and the input shaft can be swapped.

However you may be in for some serious $$$ to get this done, making it potentially more expensive than getting the appropriate tranny for the Block you have.

You will also need the appropriate clutch, and change the Flywheel, and if your ride is a 4WD you will also need the Xfer case and all of the connecting gears. You need the Tranny mounts, Clutch and Brake pedals from a donor truck.

It is quite an understaking. Unless the receiving vehicle is in mint condition I'm presonnaly not sure I would invest that sort of time, efforts and resources on such a swap, or that you want to do a restoration of the truck and then add the swap on top.

Otherwise you are probably better off looking for a trade from your truck to a similar manual one.

However if you really feel like doing so and would like to acquire the learning experience, go for it. It is always great to get some nice experiences like that in our backpacks. But the you need to make sure you are ready for the costs in $, time, efforts and resources.

My 2 cents...

OP
OP
L

lucemsequimur

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
360 Magnum
I'm guessing both the Bell housing and the input shaft can be swapped.

However you may be in for some serious $$$ to get this done, making it potentially more expensive than getting the appropriate tranny for the Block you have.

You will also need the appropriate clutch, and change the Flywheel, and if your ride is a 4WD you will also need the Xfer case and all of the connecting gears. You need the Tranny mounts, Clutch and Brake pedals from a donor truck.

It is quite an understaking. Unless the receiving vehicle is in mint condition I'm presonnaly not sure I would invest that sort of time, efforts and resources on such a swap, or that you want to do a restoration of the truck and then add the swap on top.

Otherwise you are probably better off looking for a trade from your truck to a similar manual one.

However if you really feel like doing so and would like to acquire the learning experience, go for it. It is always great to get some nice experiences like that in our backpacks. But the you need to make sure you are ready for the costs in $, time, efforts and resources.

My 2 cents...

Well, then here's my other question. Is there a way to make the 46RE a better tranny? Tighter, quicker shifts, more power handling? Thanks