46re trans slip

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Stevenjudy

Reaction score
Ram Year
1995 dodge 1500
Engine
I have a 95 1500 that was running fine my brother ran it out of fluid. I pulled the trans and put new clutches in readjusted bands and put it back together. The forward direct clutches were worn down to metal on all but 1 of them. Reinstalled the trans. And now it slips something fierce in all forward gears. But reverse is a champ. I pulled the pan agai. Double checked band adjustment and tried again.. second time I had a small bit of fluid from the bell housing where the TQ converter is. This is the first time I've torn apart an auto trans but I did it by the book. Any ideas why it would be slipping.

bulrid8

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Did you change converter? If it was ran dry, it is toast.

Sent from my VS985 4G using Tapatalk

OP
OP
S

Stevenjudy

Reaction score
Ram Year
1995 dodge 1500
Engine
i didn't replace the converter but when it was out it had an aweful lot of that nasty clutch material in it. I was wondering if maybe I had done something wrong or missed something. Is there any way to check if it is the converter? when I shake the converter I hear a dull thud sound is that normal?

bulrid8

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Anytime you toast an auto tranny, you Should replace the converter. All that contaminated fluid is now back in your tranny.
I would be tearing it back apart and reclean the whole tranny. New converter, flush lines and cooler, then all New fluid. Auto trans are not something you can cheap out on. One spec of dirt can take out the entire trans.

Sent from my VS985 4G using Tapatalk

dudeman2009

Reaction score
Ram Year
2001 1500 Sport with enough electrical modifications to make my brain hurt
Engine
Magnum 360
SLIPS IN FORWARD DRIVE RANGES
DRIVE RANGES
1. Fluid Level Low. Add fluid and check for leaks.
2. Fluid Foaming. Check for high oil level, bad pump gasket or seals, dirt between pump halves and loose pump bolts. Replace pump if necessary.
3. Throttle Linkage Mis-adjusted. Adjust linkage.
4. Gearshift Linkage Mis-adjusted. Adjust linkage.
5. Rear Clutch Worn. Inspect and replace as needed.
6. Low Hydraulic Pressure Due to Worn Pump, Incorrect Control Pressure Adjustments, Valve Body Warpage or Malfunction, Sticking, Leaking Seal Rings, Clutch Seals Leaking, Servo Leaks, Clogged Filter or Cooler Lines. Perform hydraulic and air pressure tests to determine cause.

The torque converter if bad, will be bad in all gear selections, not just the forward drive ranges. Have you tested to see if it slips in manual 1st or 2nd? A little bit of dirt and grim won't hurt anything, if it did, the second you ran oil through the filter you'd ruin it as fine particulate exists even in brand new filters. Hell, All the friction material was worn off my front band and I was running black trans fluid full of crap for half a year. Since I was swapping the engine in my truck already, I replaced the front band and it works fine. You can have some debris in the system as the filter will catch most of it. My buddy had a gear shatter into pieces in his transmission and it still drove another 800ish miles before he could afford to have it rebuilt.

My guess, is you forgot a gasket or O-ring when you were rebuilding it. Did you buy a rebuild kit, or just a clutch and band kit? Did you do anything to the valve body when you had it out?

OP
OP
S

Stevenjudy

Reaction score
Ram Year
1995 dodge 1500
Engine
I pulled the valve body apart just to clean it but that was it. I only did the clutches not bands the bands still looked fine.

OP
OP
S

Stevenjudy

Reaction score
Ram Year
1995 dodge 1500
Engine
I found a 98 1500 with the 318 the tranny should be a straight swap correct?