46RE Wont shift at WOT

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

duggyphresh

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hi all. I'm new to the forum and owned a 1998 dodge ram awhile back. I went through the pain of having the transmission go out at 108k and bit the bullet for the $3000 replacement. I finally worked up the nerve to buy another one recently. Its a 2001 Ram 1500 Extended Cab 4x4 with only 58k, and the tranny was rebuilt with paperwork. Then the tranny issues started. It will not for the life of me shift out of any gear at wide open throttle. If i let off the gas it shifts just fine, if i'm nice to it i get good shifts, but no dice at WOT. I've read a lot about the governor sensor so i am replacing all the sensors down there and plan on doing a band adjustment and installing a trans go JR shift kit. Hopefully this is the cure for my problem. My other concern is that the REV Limiter never kicks in, i accidentally found all this out ******* my tach passed 6k. Any one have any experience with this or can forward me to a thread? My searches have come up with similar issues but nothing identical. Thanks.

OP
OP
duggyphresh

duggyphresh

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I swapped out all the solenoids and installed the shift kit. Adjusted the band's and everything looked good inside the tranny. Still the same issue. But I decided to go for it. WOT until it shifted at about 6500rpm? Or my tach is off... Still haven't hit a rev limiter though. I will be installing a new gage cluster tomorrow to see if the tach is the problem.

dodge dude94

Millennial Boomer
Reaction score
Ram Year
1998 Ram 1500
Engine
5.9 Magnum
It's possible your TV, or throttle valve cable is adjusted too tight

OP
OP
duggyphresh

duggyphresh

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
It was adjusted improperly but I readjusted it yesterday and everything appears to be working correctly... Minus the RPM level. Doing the math for tire size and gears I have 6.xx gears lol. Also wildly innaccurate.

MagSport

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
You could try doing the gauge cluster self check: hold the trip reset button while turning the switch on and hold it until the odometer flashes. Let go and the cluster will perform a self check. Every light will come on so if some don't come on, the bulb is out. Then the gauges will move to a half way point, then to a maximum value, then to 0. This supposedly calibrates the gauges but I'm not sure how reliable it is. I used it one time after pulling some of my needles to customize my gauge face. Some of the needles were right but not all of them. But doesn't hurt to try.

OP
OP
duggyphresh

duggyphresh

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I've tried that and all the needles go through the motions. I believe the tach hits 1k, 3k, then 6k then all back to 0. The TV cable was way off prior to adjusting it per the manual. Like 3/8" too far towards the rear. Should I try adjusting it slowly in either direction and see if it improves? I believe it's the tach because it idles at 1200 but my timing light says 650ish which I believe is where it should be?

OP
OP
duggyphresh

duggyphresh

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
So I installed the new instrument cluster and everything is perfect. Idle is at about 650rpm rev limiter hits at 5250 and WOT shift in first gear is at 4500ish. Downshift is perfect in all gears. Also my temp gage was off too. It used to read slightly above 210 line, now it reads slightly below as if at 195... Its a huge sigh of relief.

OP
OP
duggyphresh

duggyphresh

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Now to install my 5" lift, 35's, true Trac with 4.56 gears, iron cross front push bumper, warn zeon 12 winch and fender flares. I'll be starting a new thread with pics soon.... Thanks for the help everyone.

dodge dude94

Millennial Boomer
Reaction score
Ram Year
1998 Ram 1500
Engine
5.9 Magnum
So I installed the new instrument cluster and everything is perfect. Idle is at about 650rpm rev limiter hits at 5250 and WOT shift in first gear is at 4500ish. Downshift is perfect in all gears. Also my temp gage was off too. It used to read slightly above 210 line, now it reads slightly below as if at 195... Its a huge sigh of relief.
Sounds like your cluster was indeed to blame.
Good job on figuring it out, never seen one on a Dodge do that

OP
OP
duggyphresh

duggyphresh

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Yeah. It was a surprise to me. Couldn't find any posts relating to my exact issue.

ace940

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
What throttle cable did you adjust? i have basically the same problem

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk