46RH transmission not going into overdrive

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

cpicking

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I have a 1994 Dodge Ram 1500 with a 46RH transmission. I had a rebuilt transmission put in 3 years ago and it's not shifting into overdrive. I replaced the control solenoid. It throws a code 37. I was told it could be governor solenoid. No sure what it may be. Any suggestions?

dapepper9

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L V8
Code 37:
-transmission teperature sensor
-trans temp sensor voltage too low
-trans temp sensor voltage too hi
-torq conv clu, no rpm drop at lock-up
-torque cinv clutch solenoid CKT
-P/N switch stuck in PARK or in gear

When you changed the solenoid, did you change the temp sensor as well? Temp sensor gets a bad reading it'll lock you out of overdrive.

I would change the temp sensor and delete the check valve in the cooler line as the 2 tend to often go bad at similar times

OP
OP
C

cpicking

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I was unable to locate a temp sensor. I traced the lines to the cooler and did not locate anything. I disconnected the battery to see if the computer would see that the solenoid has been replaced. Haven't checked to see if the code is still there but it seems to have fixed the problem. I'll look at it in the morning.

MANKYPURPLE

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 V8
Did this fix the issue? My 46rh is also not engaging overdrive. have done 2 rebuilds on it now.

auskip07

Reaction score
Ram Year
s
Engine
s
Did this fix the issue? My 46rh is also not engaging overdrive. have done 2 rebuilds on it now.

since he isnt responding, i would like to play devils advocate and say what do you have to lose by replacing the solenoid? If you can remove the trans 2 times and rebuild you can certainly replace that part easier.

MANKYPURPLE

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 V8
Aye, but my list of symptoms changed today. Mine wasnt shifting from 2nd to 3rd while in drive. Today I cycled it from D to 2nd and back to D, and 3rd gear engaged followed by 4th. As soon as it kickdown back to 2nd, it wont go into 3rd unless I cycle it again.

auskip07

Reaction score
Ram Year
s
Engine
s
Aye, but my list of symptoms changed today. Mine wasnt shifting from 2nd to 3rd while in drive. Today I cycled it from D to 2nd and back to D, and 3rd gear engaged followed by 4th. As soon as it kickdown back to 2nd, it wont go into 3rd unless I cycle it again.

you sure everything in your valve body is correct and you are getting adequate fluid pressure? did you replace the pump?

MANKYPURPLE

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 V8
Pump was not replaced. Just all 3 servos, both bands, reverse drum, overdrive solenoid, clutches, steels, handful of gaskets, orings and other materials, torque converter, fluid and filter. Have not checked pressure yet. Valve body seems in good shape. Check balls intact.