47re low and reverce only

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

brain dead

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 cummins
I'm new at this site I have a 1999 dodge 2500 cummins has 136000miles some towing most from mining fields bought truck with trans down only have low and reverce no 1to2 or 2t03 checked codes have p1688 . Ive check wiring for broken or bare wire cant find any replaced gov and transducer no help can the code 1688 from vp cause this shifting problem. I'm at my witts end need help

dudeman2009

Reaction score
Ram Year
2001 1500 Sport with enough electrical modifications to make my brain hurt
Engine
Magnum 360
You're probably looking at a rebuild if it hasn't been done already. Mine does a very similar thing, the front kickdown band is fried, its a common problem when the trans hasn't been serviced in awhile.

OP
OP
B

brain dead

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 cummins
my trans is torn down the trans tech says it isnt worn bad enough to not shift. i looked at the front band it was worn thin. im getting a 1688 code if the puter in the vp pump doesnt communicate with the ecm would that cause this trans problem low and reverse only?

dudeman2009

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Magnum 360
slight wear accompanied by improper adjustment can and will cause it not to shift, especially when you have a CTD in front of it. If I give mine more than 1/4th throttle then it will slip back into first from third unless the governor pressure is super high, such as when cruising at highway speeds.

Either way, try adjusting the front band and see if that fixes it. If it does, then you can get away without a rebuild for a little bit, but its in the near future.

OP
OP
B

brain dead

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 cummins
thanks dudeman I was hoping to hear such an answer it gives me hope lol. Trans is being build now should be done by friday or monday thanks for those good words

Gr8bawana

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 CTD
thanks dudeman I was hoping to hear such an answer it gives me hope lol. Trans is being build now should be done by friday or monday thanks for those good words

Just wondering how much you were quoted for the rebuild?

dudeman2009

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Magnum 360
900.00 friends price

thats a killer deal. the going rate for mine last time I had quoted was 2100. Its not god awful considering book time for rebuild is 10.4hrs and removal+install is about 4.

Course the shop I took it to cost a little more, but they have an amazing reputation in the central michigan area. Recommended by a world class ASE, cant get a whole lot better than that.

jlbayes

Reaction score
Ram Year
2001 & 1997
Engine
5.9l cummins
my trans is torn down the trans tech says it isnt worn bad enough to not shift. i looked at the front band it was worn thin. im getting a 1688 code if the puter in the vp pump doesnt communicate with the ecm would that cause this trans problem low and reverse only?

No. The ecm fault will have no bearing on transmission operation.