47RE No Overdrive

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

char70ger

Reaction score
Ram Year
2000 3500 Van
Engine
360 magnum
Hi everyone, I am new here and have lurking for the last couple weeks and have not found my issue anywhere else. I live in Santa Fe, Texas which is about 30 miles south east of Houston.

I have a 2000 3500 Ram Van. I rebuilt the transmission, 47RE, about a year ago. This is the first overdrive trans I have ever rebuilt, but I have no overdrive. I used red eagle clutches and steels, reman converter I got from a local rebuilder, and a Fairbanks TransAction shift kit.

When the overdrive is engaged and I let off the gas pedal it seem as though the van just free wheels. Then, while "free wheeling" if I press the overdrive button it shifts down into 3rd gear. If I am depressing the gas pedal and press the over drive then I can feel the converter unlock but there is no down shift, because I am already in third gear, so there is no free wheeling.

I have repalced the overdrive solonoid, primary shift solonoid, and the speed sensor as well but this has not made any differance. I have adjusted the detent cable multiple times and that just makes the 1-2 and 2-3 shift points change. I believe this is not a electronics issue because they were all new when I rebuilt it and I have also replaced those new parts with other new parts and the issue has not changed.

Last month I took the tail shaft off and found that both o-rings on the overdrive piston were blown out and replaced them. The only thing it does different now is I get a trouble code, telling me it is not shifting into overdrive, or RPM higher than expected, something like that. I don't remember the code number and the van is out of town right now but I can pull the code when it is back this weekend.

Any ideas or suggestions? I am planing a trip from here in Santa Fe, Texas to Salt Lake City in Sept. and would really like overdrive so I get better than the 10 mpg I am getting now.

Any help or suggestions would be very much appriciated.