4 Magnum builds

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

90droptop

Reaction score
Ram Year
77-89-90-92-98-01-04-07-17
Engine
all of them
Now that I have your attention, I want to say that I have searched many threads, and read almost all of the build threads.
the most common things I see are
1.Yall are hard core for the M1 intake
2. flying ryan is the go to guy for magnum tunes/tuning
3. hughes engine is crap for quality and customer service (but the plenem reapir kit is great
4.engine quest heads are best bang for the buck.

That said(typed) I have 3-5.9l Magnums and 1-5.2 magnum that are just chilling in my garage, all complete running pull outs. they all are going to get various upgrades from a stock rebuild to a stroker.

The first engine(5.2) will get the basic rebuild with a set of Keith black flattops to bump the compression up (will be going into a tj crawler project)

One 5.9 is getting a cast 4" eagle stroker crank (cause I have it laying around) a set of EQ heads, a edelbrock performer intake(again have it laying around) and a DUI distributor(have) will be providing 110 octane fuel in the form of propane carb. I want 11:1 or better compression. what piston .030 over would yall recommend? this will be a low end grunter will not likely see much over 3500rpm ever so I am keeping the stock rods(will be going in a dodge ram 50 rock crawler)

second 5.9 full forged internals stock stroke 8.5-9.5:1 turbo build road kill style, will get a full prepped set of EQ heads with 2.05/1.60 valves weiand Stealth intake. what fuel set up/management unit would yall recommend? this will not have the magnum wiring/computer (will be going in a 1990 dodge Dakota convertible for a street strip truck )

third 5.9l is going back into a Durango and will Get the basic bolt-ons (heads, headers, cam, roller rockers, intake) since it is out of the truck currently and the intended purpose is a 7 person rock crawler for wheelers for the wounded in a year this is the most pressing build(aside from my hemi stroker build in the old daily) the engine has 140K on it was thinking domed pistons to bump compression with the out of the box EQ heads, find a m1 intake or a air gap. a comp XR264HR-14 and a good tune .

what are yalls thoughts on the engine combos? any thing different yall would do?

P.S. I also have a 8.0l v10 that will be getting a rebuild as soon as I can get to the truck and pick it up(8hours from me one way )

dudeman2009

Reaction score
Ram Year
2001 1500 Sport with enough electrical modifications to make my brain hurt
Engine
Magnum 360
I have to say, i'm jealous of your plans. It sounds like you have a decent plan laid out for each engine.

OP
OP

90droptop

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
all of them
Thanks, the 5.2 is on the engine​ stand first since it's a simple rebuild and I have "students" who want to learn the ins and outs of what goes into a rebuild. So I'm going to have them come over and teach them about organization, give it about 3 days are who is still interested before actually tearing it down

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

dudeman2009

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Magnum 360
Thanks, the 5.2 is on the engine​ stand first since it's a simple rebuild and I have "students" who want to learn the ins and outs of what goes into a rebuild. So I'm going to have them come over and teach them about organization, give it about 3 days are who is still interested before actually tearing it down

I like that attitude, bore all the flakes out and only the really interested ones will remain. :roflsquared:

dapepper9

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L V8
1st build: I'm not sure on pistons, not something I've personally looked very closely at because i like low comp with boost
2nd: are you wanting EFI or carb setup suggestions? Link to the intake you're looking at using?
3rd: sounds like a great setup. Another head/intake option that nobody does is Edelbrock Super Victor and EQs drilled for LA intake pattern. If you're collecting parts or buying all at once it's a good combo though I'm not sure on whether the fuel rails are still on backorder. That would take a simple phone call.

I'm not sure where you're located but as for tuning there's a few things to address. 1st being that FlyinRyan is by FAR the best. I've sat down with him personally and learned more in the couple hours talking to him than i have in 2 years of messing with my own and talking with those who build em up crazy. Very very good at what he does. That being said unless you're in Texas or unless you can manage to get a few others together to rent a dyno for a day tuning from him isn't really going to be an option. For the work he's doing anymore it became too much liability on his part and reliability on customers having their **** together to be doing email tunes. Marty Fletcher is willing to do them but isn't nearly as good at the end of a full build. Wouldnt go with hemifever and you're better off fumbling your way through it yourself than going with PIE

dudeman2009

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Magnum 360
1st build: I'm not sure on pistons, not something I've personally looked very closely at because i like low comp with boost
2nd: are you wanting EFI or carb setup suggestions? Link to the intake you're looking at using?
3rd: sounds like a great setup. Another head/intake option that nobody does is Edelbrock Super Victor and EQs drilled for LA intake pattern. If you're collecting parts or buying all at once it's a good combo though I'm not sure on whether the fuel rails are still on backorder. That would take a simple phone call.

I'm not sure where you're located but as for tuning there's a few things to address. 1st being that FlyinRyan is by FAR the best. I've sat down with him personally and learned more in the couple hours talking to him than i have in 2 years of messing with my own and talking with those who build em up crazy. Very very good at what he does. That being said unless you're in Texas or unless you can manage to get a few others together to rent a dyno for a day tuning from him isn't really going to be an option. For the work he's doing anymore it became too much liability on his part and reliability on customers having their **** together to be doing email tunes. Marty Fletcher is willing to do them but isn't nearly as good at the end of a full build. Wouldnt go with hemifever and you're better off fumbling your way through it yourself than going with PIE

Damn, that news about Ryan kind of sucks. I was gonna contact him in a couple of months about getting a tune for my truck now that I've got it the way I want it. Maybe I can send him my extra PCM as a bit of a bribe :roflsquared::roflsquared:

regularcab2500

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 Magnum
Only thing i can reall help with is the propane carbd 5.9. With 11:1 or higher i would go forged kb -4 domed for a 340 la engine. If im remembering right, hot rod writer steve dulcich used these pistons on a 340 and made well over 400hp with a mild mild cam and dual plane edelbrock intake and 650cfm carb. The stock bore on a 340 is 4.040 so go the extra .010 and you'll have a bit more parts availability from the 340 as opposed to a stroked 360. Obviously you would still need different rods.

Im curious if by roadkill you mean Roadkill with david freiburger and mike finnegan?

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

OP
OP

90droptop

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
all of them
Only thing i can reall help with is the propane carbd 5.9. With 11:1 or higher i would go forged kb -4 domed for a 340 la engine. If im remembering right, hot rod writer steve dulcich used these pistons on a 340 and made well over 400hp with a mild mild cam and dual plane edelbrock intake and 650cfm carb. The stock bore on a 340 is 4.040 so go the extra .010 and you'll have a bit more parts availability from the 340 as opposed to a stroked 360. Obviously you would still need different rods.

Im curious if by roadkill you mean Roadkill with david freiburger and mike finnegan?

Yes roadkill with David and Mike, a 360 with .030 over bore has a good selection of pistons, I was thinking icon Piston and K1 tech rods.

OP
OP

90droptop

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
all of them

The pistons I have already found Mopar magazine did a write up a few years back on a 500hp 318 with off the shelf parts. Was pretty awesome actually. Not looking to make that in a stock rebuild for sure.
The turbo Motor I'm thinking either the Holly ****** efi or F1 fuel system. They both control boost and nitrous.
The 3rd one the EQ heads are definitely on the list I can't find a bad experience with them sofar.

OP
OP

90droptop

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
all of them
Also I'm in Houston and have recently been in contact with Ryan

regularcab2500

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 Magnum
Yeah now that you mention it there would be more .030 pistons for a 360 than anything for a 340. Ive been looking into getting a 340 to build and put into a d100 with an 833 so thats really the only thing i have researched for aftermarket performance. Was gonna make a drag truck. Really dont know anything about the 360s as far as aftermarket bottom end stuff, never really looked. It sounds like you got a decent idea which direction you want to go though. Get the block decked and look for a forged piston that will give you slightly above deck tdc. Will make some impressive low end grunt with the propane set up and be one hell of a rock crawler.

OP
OP

90droptop

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
all of them
Here is a build a customer came to me with a couple days ago.

360 .030 over
4" eagle forged crank
Eagle I beam rods forged
Icon forged pistons
Com cams k20-228-4 kit
Engine quest heads 2.05/1.60
Harland sharp roller rockers
dual plane air gap
with The FITech fuel injection go efi8pa setup to control timing and nitrous oxide.
10.41:1
440-500hp /500+tq
250 nitrous (plan to apply it progressively )
Sound like a stout setup. Hope to get started on this one middle of next month.

(I do engine builds as side work for fun along with rock crawlers/ fabshop work)