5.2 magnum turbo

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

dapepper9

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L V8
Actually with a 4x4 you have more clearance in the engine bay than a 2wd thx to height. It probably be much easier and better running having forward facing manifolds and doing a front cross over. Delete the clutch fan and you have gobs of room right in front and all around the pulleys. That's also how most Dakota guys do it and turbos are popular in that crowd

Max78

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Magnum 5.9
I think I'm gonna attempt to set it up like I drew since this truck is 4wd and i don't got muck space to work with, I'm gonna try and see what happens

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If you have the stock sheet metal bottom kegger I would look at doing a plenum upgrade or new intake.

If you can wrap your headers and as much as the hot side you can afford with some Exhaust Wrap, that should help you get back some spool time.

Either way, it will be a lot of fun! I guarantee it!

I would also write down a list with all the parts you need with prices, total that list and then add about 50% more onto it and that should get you fairly close to your final price.

dapepper9

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L V8
If you have the stock sheet metal bottom kegger I would look at doing a plenum upgrade or new intake.

If you can wrap your headers and as much as the hot side you can afford with some Exhaust Wrap, that should help you get back some spool time.

Either way, it will be a lot of fun! I guarantee it!

I would also write down a list with all the parts you need with prices, total that list and then add about 50% more onto it and that should get you fairly close to your final price.

The bolded is very important. I would at the least port the kegger and have an aluminum plate welded on the bottom to keep it from blowing out under boost or swap to an airgap.

OP
OP
e_hartzell17

e_hartzell17

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.2 318
Actually with a 4x4 you have more clearance in the engine bay than a 2wd thx to height. It probably be much easier and better running having forward facing manifolds and doing a front cross over. Delete the clutch fan and you have gobs of room right in front and all around the pulleys. That's also how most Dakota guys do it and turbos are popular in that crowd

What would cool my motor other than the rad then

OP
OP
e_hartzell17

e_hartzell17

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.2 318
A Dakota turbo manifold would fit so but do they make a Dakota 318 turbo kit

dapepper9

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L V8
A Dakota turbo manifold would fit so but do they make a Dakota 318 turbo kit

For about $5500 yeah:
http://www.performanceinjectionequipment.com/proddetail.php?prod=RTS1

These guys offer full engine builds that WILL fail as well as custom tuning that WILL blow up your engine. Don't back up their work and i wouldn't trust em for anything besides hardware. Their turbo kit is also non-intercooled. With a centrifugal supercharger, not a huge deal because not a tin of heat is generated. However with a turbo, there is a lot of heat transfer to the air going in because the thing is spun by the extremely hot exhaust.

But, the real reason for posting that link is to show a way to route the piping. They have a forward facing header on the passenger side with the turbo mount and the driverside goes back like normal, crosses under the trans like a factory y pipe, then back up and meets up at the turbo mount. This leaves more room out front for intercooler piping and intercooler

OP
OP
e_hartzell17

e_hartzell17

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.2 318
For about $5500 yeah:

These guys offer full engine builds that WILL fail as well as custom tuning that WILL blow up your engine. Don't back up their work and i wouldn't trust em for anything besides hardware. Their turbo kit is also non-intercooled. With a centrifugal supercharger, not a huge deal because not a tin of heat is generated. However with a turbo, there is a lot of heat transfer to the air going in because the thing is spun by the extremely hot exhaust.

But, the real reason for posting that link is to show a way to route the piping. They have a forward facing header on the passenger side with the turbo mount and the driverside goes back like normal, crosses under the trans like a factory y pipe, then back up and meets up at the turbo mount. This leaves more room out front for intercooler piping and intercooler

http://www.homemadeturbo.com/fabrication-14/one-off-single-turbo-dakota-87420/

Thinking about just doing what this guy did

OP
OP
e_hartzell17

e_hartzell17

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.2 318
For about $5500 yeah:

Since I'm only making 12 psi max is there a need for an intercooler cause in my engine bay I don't have much room for piping nor the unit itself behind my grill

Max78

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Magnum 5.9
That's similar to how my Camaro is setup, it works great while leaving a lot of room.

You don't need an intercooler, but I would strongly recommend one, especially with an iron head. The IAT can get to outrageous levels especially on only oil cooled turbos.

I only run 8psi on the camaro and have an intercooler.

OP
OP
e_hartzell17

e_hartzell17

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.2 318
That's similar to how my Camaro is setup, it works great while leaving a lot of room.

You don't need an intercooler, but I would strongly recommend one, especially with an iron head. The IAT can get to outrageous levels especially on only oil cooled turbos.

I only run 8psi on the camaro and have an intercooler.

I am doing remote mount turbo mounted at my Y pipe so piping shouldn't be to bad

dapepper9

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L V8
Yes run an intercooler. No intercooler=extremely high intake temps=more fuel, less timing, much less power, much more heat, much less reliable. Plenty of room behind the grille unless you've filled that cavity with lights or something or mount between the engine and radiator and ditch the clutch fan like i mentioned earlier. Much much more room to work with.

As for turbo placement there's a few things you'll have to address.
1. Oil: you'll have to have a pump setup that feeds the turbo with oil as well as cycling it back to the oil pan and cooling it would be beneficial as well
2. Location: my personal biggest problem with remote mounts is i would destroy something like that. Street or offroad. I beat on my stuff pretty hard and placing the turbo under the vehicle opens it up to all sorts of things like water dirt/grime pavement etc. If you just want something cool and fun to drive it's less of am issue but if you want to be able to beat on it or use it offroad, you'll need to consider that

Myself, i like that link. Could reuse the diverse if a factory y pipe to save a little time and money and route it up into your fabbed log and turbo.

Max78

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Magnum 5.9
As for oiling the Turbo, you can T off of the oil sending unit for supply. Get a -3 -4 and -5 fittings to meter your incoming oil, you will need to see which one works best for you.

If you go with gravity return you will need to have the turbo elevated above the drain point, it needs to be as straight of a shot as you can get, use the largest diameter return you deem reasonable, I use 3/4" tube on mine. Failure to have an adequate return will cause the oil to pool in the turbo and smoke out of the tail pipe.

If you change your mind and go remote mount, you will need a dry sump pump to pump the return oil back to the engine.

OP
OP
e_hartzell17

e_hartzell17

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.2 318
As for oiling the Turbo, you can T off of the oil sending unit for supply. Get a -3 -4 and -5 fittings to meter your incoming oil, you will need to see which one works best for you.

If you go with gravity return you will need to have the turbo elevated above the drain point, it needs to be as straight of a shot as you can get, use the largest diameter return you deem reasonable, I use 3/4" tube on mine. Failure to have an adequate return will cause the oil to pool in the turbo and smoke out of the tail pipe.

If you change your mind and go remote mount, you will need a dry sump pump to pump the return oil back to the engine.

I'm going with remote mount as mounting shall be easier and I plan on building some box for the air filter for the turbo, this truck is very much a pavement queen haha so no worry about mud my only worry is turbo size I found a cummins turbo, would that turbo work

OP
OP
e_hartzell17

e_hartzell17

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.2 318

The turbo will be mounted right under the bed

crazzywolfie

Reaction score
Ram Year
81 93
Engine
i talked with this guy on another forum a while ago. he put a turbo on his Dakota. he did a pretty good walk around of his truck with some of the parts he used
[yt]7m_ruMx5MkI[/yt]

OP
OP
e_hartzell17

e_hartzell17

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.2 318
i talked with this guy on another forum a while ago. he put a turbo on his Dakota. he did a pretty good walk around of his truck with some of the parts he used
[yt]7m_ruMx5MkI[/yt]

So an oem cummins turbo would work perfect

crazzywolfie

Reaction score
Ram Year
81 93
Engine
i really don't know if it would work perfect. that guy has a turbo that you would find on a diesel but it is also modified. i really don't understand it but with enough research you will likely find what you need.

OP
OP
e_hartzell17

e_hartzell17

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.2 318
Can someone post a link to a 2 bar map sensor for my truck