5.2 more power

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Pagechase84

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hi Guys
New to the forum hopping someone can point me the right way. I just picked up an 01 2500 van with a 5.2.
It’s kinda high Milage but runs good. I am thinking about trying to get a bit more power out of it but putting a larger cam in it. What I want to know is if I do change the cam can the computer figure it out on its own or do I have to have it flashed with the new cam specs? Thanks for any help

Yeret

The Village Drunk
Reaction score
Under the hood fixing/breaking something.
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 Magnum
It's generally ill-advised to swap the cam without tuning the computer. Hell, even a carbureted engine will need some tuning to get the most out of it.

Everyone always seems to overlook that swapping the cam almost always necessitates swapping the valve springs. The factory springs are built to handle the factory cam. Considering even a "mild" aftermarket cam has something like 75% more lift than the factory cam, you're going to bind the factory springs in a hurry and that's gonna break them.

In our particular engines, the factory heads and intake manifold don't respond very well to aftermarket cams. They're designed to maximize intake velocity at the expense of volume which provides excellent low-end torque but weak top-end power. The factory cam really is pretty optimal for the factory setup.

Many people here who have modified their Magnum engines are running the factory cam. Hell, I'm pretty sure Pepper, who has one of the quickest second-gens here, is still running the OEM bumpstick (right?).

Also, a 318 in a 2500 seems odd. I thought the gasser 2500's always used the 360? Or maybe the vans are different.

Last edited:
OP
OP
P

Pagechase84

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
ya I was surprised as well to see a 318 in a 2500 but that’s what the tag under the hood said. I should probably mention I just got the van a few days ago and it has a rough idle issue I need to fix. (Thinking plenum gasket) only drove it a mile seamed to fun good just know I am going to want more power and don’t and to do a programmer. I have found they recommend changing springs when you change the cam. I just couldn’t find anyone saying what they did to the computer to get the cam to work.

dapepper9

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L V8
Yeret summed it up pretty well. Factory intake/head/cam package is designed around 1 purpose, low end tq and velocity. You can pick up a fair amount of power with an sct tune, 15-25hp at the wheels. 50wtq in the 318s is not at all uncommon. You can pick up a bit by changing the manifold as it's the weakest link, 20-25 over the keg. Proper exhaust is one thing often forgotten. Good headers do a lot with a proper downpipe setup. Throttle body furthers all of this.

Yes i still run a factory cam and with bigger tb, 2bbl m1 manifold, 1.7 ratio rocker arms and longtube headers, controlled by sct I'd make about 250-260whp on a dynojet. I've previously made 222/299 on one on a humid 97 degree day with heavy 17" wheels and heavy 33" tires on factory 3.55s, i now run 4.56s, my buddy Riley made 255/323 with throttle body, airgap manifold, longtubes, electric fans and crappy superchips tuning on the sane day and dyno. My FRP tuning is better and i have 1.7 rockers while he doesn't. Ill also have an electric fan before December so there's that as well.

You won't see these power numbers with a 318. Sucks to hear that but it's true. However, by doing the cheap easy ones you can totally change your driving experience. Ask Yeret for example. Everything he posts about his is about how much he loves his truck after doing a throttle body headers and a tune.

Throttle body: http://stores.hi-potek.com/hipotek-52mm-performance-throttle-body-machine-modified-dodge-jeep-5-2l-5-9l-v8-magnum-1996-03/
$200 after core is returned.

Tune: http://www.frptuning.com/product-p/sct9603.htm
Select ram 5.2 and it'll be the same thing you need for the van. $450

Headers: best bang for buck is eBay, $100 roughly

You're looking at a $750 total there