5.2 possible plenum blow-out?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ktm1217

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.2L 318ci Magnum
Hey guys. My trucks currently off the road bc it wouldnt pass inspection. It needs cab corners and rockers, and tires which will be done within the next week or so. But while its been sittin, ive been thinkin about doin the plenum fix but im not sure that i really need it. My truck doesnt have the pingin noise at all that ive noticed, but it does burn about a quart of oil between every 3,000 mile or so oil change. Lookin down the TB, theres no pooling amounts of oil, but it does look like there could be a thin coating in there. Also, my idle when stoppin a ta light has been real jumpy and sometimes the truck stalls...other times though, the truck gets a high idle until i come to a complete stop, then it drops down to the normal 600rpm or so. What do ya think the scoop is here??

Mopar1973Man

Reaction score
Ram Year
1996, 2002
Engine
1996 Dodge 1500 (V8-5.9L) & 2002 Dodge Ram 2500 (5.9L Cummins)
Double check your rocker cover vent filter it might be plugging up allowing the PCV to pull a vacuum on the crank case.

After having to do the gasket on my truck and seeing how the gasket is pulled out to the cam valley I noticed the rocker cover filter was all gummed up with old oil and dirt. So now I wash that filter out every oil change and never going to worry about the manifold again.

talon6

Reaction score
Ram Year
2002 QCSB 4X4
Engine
supercharged 5.9
there will be some oil residue down in there even if you donnt have a blown plenum.1 qt of oil at every oil change is not that bad. not saying the plenum gasket is blown though. usually the oil residue down in there will be pretty wet. sounds like the tps or iac valve is messed up to me. alot of people have issues with them.

Last edited:
OP
OP
K

ktm1217

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.2L 318ci Magnum
Double check your rocker cover vent filter it might be plugging up allowing the PCV to pull a vacuum on the crank case.

After having to do the gasket on my truck and seeing how the gasket is pulled out to the cam valley I noticed the rocker cover filter was all gummed up with old oil and dirt. So now I wash that filter out every oil change and never going to worry about the manifold again.
Wheres that filter located exactly?? Under one of the valve covers id assume..? Ill check it out as soon as i can.

there will be some oil residue down in there even if you donnt have a blown plenum.1 qt of oil at every oil change is not that bad. not saying the plenum gasket is blown though. usually the oil residue down in there will be pretty wet. sounds like the tps or iac valve is messed up to me. alot of people have issues with them.
Theres a little but it doesnt seem to be anything major. Ive already changed my TPS, and I cleaned the IAC. I hooked up the Snap-On Modus that we have in my shop class and it said the IAC was functioning fine. There were no codes either.

Mopar1973Man

Reaction score
Ram Year
1996, 2002
Engine
Wheres that filter located exactly?? Under one of the valve covers id assume..? Ill check it out as soon as i can.

Really simple the one with the hose that goes to the air filter. Just pull it out of the valve cover and soak it in solvent or gasoline. Rinse it out good and then let it dry out you don't want solvent or gas getting in the crankcase.

OP
OP
K

ktm1217

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.2L 318ci Magnum
Really simple the one with the hose that goes to the air filter. Just pull it out of the valve cover and soak it in solvent or gasoline. Rinse it out good and then let it dry out you don't want solvent or gas getting in the crankcase.
ohh, i know what youre talkin about now lol isnt that also the PCV? Ill give that a try maybe tomorrow and let it dry for a while. Im in the process of weldin in new cab corners and rockers so ill have pics comin up of that soon too !

Mopar1973Man

Reaction score
Ram Year
1996, 2002
Engine
ohh, i know what youre talkin about now lol isnt that also the PCV?

Other one the one that hooks to the air filter not the manifold. That little round can in the crankcase filter and will get plugged up and dirty too.