5.2L swap or upgrade?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

therammy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.2L Magnum
So I've been reading around the forums about performance upgrades to the 5.2L V8 and some users say it's not worth it. I was just planning on getting a new cam and intake manifold and maybe even some headers at most. Not really looking to spend much or convert it into a full on race truck, but is the 5.9L really that worth it? I've also read that the 5.2 isn't good for upgrading and is usually left stock. I'm not looking for 500HP or to get 10s in the drag strip, in fact I won't really race it, I just want to be proud of what I have and also not be scared to pass someone on the highway, you guys know what I mean.

Long story short: What is the best approach to get more performance from my 95 Ram 1500 5.2l? Currently it is bone stock. Thanks.

Yeret

The Village Drunk
Reaction score
Under the hood fixing/breaking something.
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 Magnum
Bang for the buck, an SCT tune has been the best overall improvement among the things that I've done to mine. However, I don't think that SCT works with OBD1 setups like yours. The Mopar Performance PCM would be your best bet in that case, unless you want to convert to OBD2, but you'd have to ask the more knowledgeable people here about that.

Me, I've been batting around quite a few ideas of how to continue with mine. I'm honestly thinking of just getting some good headers and rebuild my axles with 3.92 or 4.1 gears (maybe convert to limited slip while I'm at it) and calling it good.

Then perhaps I'll revisit my Superbird clone idea. A built 440 is becoming increasingly cheaper to do and a muscle car really is just the best way to go fast. Just gotta hope to find a fairly clean '70 Satellite when the money's there, LOL.

Also, mod for mod although the 5.9 will always have a torque advantage over the 5.2, if you're sticking to bolt-ons, I doubt that there will be enough of a difference to justify swapping engines. The engine itself isn't terribly expensive but pulling an engine is a fairly involved process that leaves a ton of room for something to go wrong ESPECIALLY if alcohol is involved, LOL. I guess you just have to ask yourself if the extra 20-30 lb/ft of peak torque is really worth the trouble.

Last edited:

mda8569

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 magnum
I think the main problem with modding these trucks is the cost to value. Gofast parts are flat out expensive. 3-4 good bolt-ons could equal the cost of the truck. For me, I planned on keeping this truck for many years, and I'm glad I upgraded mine, its a freaking blast to drive now. Like mentioned above though, you have an obd1, and cant buy a tuner, which is by far the best bang for buck with these trucks, IMO. If you are planning on keeping the truck for awhile, then mod it. It doesnt matter if its a 5.2 or 5.9, just do it, lol. If you mod your 5.2 and need more, the aftermarket parts are compatible with the 5.9, except the pcm. TB, cams, exhaust,... all the same, so swap over a 5.9 and mod it!

dudeman2009

Reaction score
Ram Year
2001 1500 Sport with enough electrical modifications to make my brain hurt
Engine
Magnum 360
As MDA8569 stated, there is hardly any differences between the 5.2 and 5.9s. If I recall correctly, the 5.9s are only bored out a bit more.

Converting to OBDII is a difficult task as you are basically replacing the entire control system with a newer version. If you are only planning on keeping the truck for 5 years, don't bother, it's a waste of time and money. But, if you are like some of us on here who plan on keeping out trucks up and running for the next 5-10+ years, go for it, you will thank yourself in the long run.

As far as resale value goes, these are going on 20 year old trucks, it doesn't matter if you invent and install OBDIII, its not going to raise the value by more than a can of beans to anyone except you. If I was buying and really wanted an OBDII truck, i'd buy one from the applicable years, not convert or buy one that was converted. However, if I already had one that was OBDI, i'd convert it, because I plan on driving my truck for a long time.

A Mopar PCM (if you dont want to convert) is one of the easiest ways to get more performance from your truck. Followed by heads, cams, intake and headers.

As for putting parts on that are worth more than the truck. Anyone who has spent more than about $2500-3000 worth of work on their truck has put in as much as its worth. I'll be honest, anyone who says these trucks at their age are worth more than that, is kidding themselves in the standard market. You will not find a person who is on a dealer lot looking at trucks who will compare a 2016 Silverado for $20k with our trucks at anything above $1500. Its just not going to happen. To us though, our trucks are nearly worth their weight in gold. I wouldn't sell my hunk of junk for anything less than $8k, which is why I will never sell it, because no one will pay.

My point is, if you truly care for your truck, you won't be bothered by spending time and money on it. But if $3k sounds like its too much money to spend on the thing for upgrades over the years, look for something newer, you'll be happier in the long run.

dapepper9

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L V8
Like said above unless you plan on keeping it for more than a few years, don't bother with anything more than cheap stuff. Parts are expensive and do not add value. Some of the good parts can also be hard to find sometimes.

You are at a disadvantage being obd1 however doping the conversion isn't quite as bad as others have made it seem. The easiest way would be to find a 96 or 97 truck in a junk yard that you can pull the harness and cluster from. You'd also want to block off the egr as 95 was the last year for that.

OP
OP
therammy

therammy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.2L Magnum
Oh I do plan on keeping this truck for as long as I can. I understand value and how some things don't really add any value. In fact, the only way I will get rid of this truck if it's going straight to a junkyard. Thank you all for answering my questions and I think I'll start with the mopar pcm and cams.

dapepper9

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L V8
Mopar pcm is equivalent to a basic superchips or edge tune. Not too crazy but it is a little more forgiving of other mods. Requires you to run premium so on a long trip it's not a good part because you can't always get premium. Custom tune you can always have a mild driver tune for such occasions in case you need to fill up with regular.

Cam is one of the last mods generally suggested as any gains to be had are minimal without a different intake manifold and heads.

If you want to start off easy and a little basic and see how it feels, a good starter list would be:
52mm throttle body or even a ported stocker
port and shave the runners on the kegger intake
cotton air filter
1.7 ratio Harland Sharp roller rockers
shorty headers and whatever muffler you like for sound
Mopar Performance PCM

You can do all of that for under a grand if you shop around a bit and together all of it will wake your 318 up quite a bit