5.9 Build. Need input

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

dodge dude94

Millennial Boomer
Reaction score
Ram Year
1998 Ram 1500
Engine
5.9 Magnum
If I'm remembering correctly, the only M1 intake you can get is the 2BBL in MPFI.

OP
OP
B

Bigred121787

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Wats the 4brl part number summit carries the 2brl And also the rocker ratio makes the lift bigger w 1.7 correct ?

User

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 RC Black Express
Engine
Hemi 5.7
4x4 standard cab long bed 35in tired evetually 37 w lager gears. So that tv cam has to hav valve springs replaced ? And will the Harland sharp 1.7 rockers work with this cam? Sorry for the questions trying to figure this out to order the parts

If you use that RV cam specs, you're looking at .458 lift @50. So .458/1.7 = .269 = .27 + .458 = .485, and .467/1.7 = .27 + .467 = .494

Intake = .485 lift with 1.7 ratio
Exhaust = .494 lift with 1.7 ratio

That is above the recommended lift your buddy stated to be below, which was .480

You will have to replace springs, keepers and retainers on the heads for that cam with 1.7s. To be honest, I wouldn't even do a cam if you're not going to replace the heads, stock heads are decent, however better heads = more air flow = more power. They also help bring all your other mods together like it was one big puzzle missing the main piece.

That is just my opinion though.

Merc225hp

Reaction score
Ram Year
truck
Engine
gas
Most on here looking for advice are not looking to build a motor like you or I have, most have a limited budget and don't want to tear down their motor like we did. Most are 4wd rigs with 3.55 gears and 33"+ tire's, moving the hp and tq up in the band is not what most want most want low end tq not high rpm hp. It all depends on how you plan on using your truck for and what the budget is.

I do agree with some of your ideas just not all of them, just ops man nothing meant at all.

OP
OP
B

Bigred121787

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Just tryin to do mild build for decent price money rly not big deal. It's goin to b a street off-road daily driver. Was my buddy's truck that's passed away just trying get it running decent. I drive a 1000hp s10 twin turbo v6 on the street so I no its not goin to b the fastest thing just a stock motor is slow! Lol. I think good idea just do rockers and no cam cuz the heads don't flow the cfm as aftermarket

User

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 RC Black Express
Engine
Hemi 5.7
If I'm remembering correctly, the only M1 intake you can get is the 2BBL in MPFI.

Mopar Performance P5007790 Mopar Performance Aluminum MPI Intake Manifolds - Free Shipping on All Orders @ JEGS

Wats the 4brl part number summit carries the 2brl And also the rocker ratio makes the lift bigger w 1.7 correct ?

P5007790

EDIT: They also have another PN that I cannot find right now, but it's the old style 4bbl EFI setup. Difference is the LA style uses larger thermostat and location is different, so if you have A/C you have to cut the A/C bracket corner to make it fit.

Most on here looking for advice are not looking to build a motor like you or I have, most have a limited budget and don't want to tear down their motor like we did. Most are 4wd rigs with 3.55 gears and 33"+ tire's, moving the hp and tq up in the band is not what most want most want low end tq not high rpm hp. It all depends on how you plan on using your truck for and what the budget is.

I do agree with some of your ideas just not all of them, just ops man nothing meant at all.

Defiantly Sir, I understand. Sometimes I forget that people have monster trucks, lol.

When I was running the stock bottom end on the 360 with the 2bbl and a 52mm tb with heads and cam, I was bottle necking the system with the 52mm/2bbl setup. Switched to the 4bbl and 55mm tb and BAM no longer producing vacuum at WOT which was around 6k.

If you guys are looking for bottom end torque, I would stick with the beer barrel intake, cut the runners and port match for a 52mm TB. The stock kegger is pretty good, just falls on it's face after 5300rpm, since they don't need the extra rpm, save some money and put it towards something else.

Last edited:

dodge dude94

Millennial Boomer
Reaction score
Ram Year
1998 Ram 1500
Engine
5.9 Magnum
Mopar Performance P5007790 Mopar Performance Aluminum MPI Intake Manifolds - Free Shipping on All Orders @ JEGS

P5007790

Defiantly Sir, I understand. Sometimes I forget that people have monster trucks, lol.

When I was running the stock bottom end on the 360 with the 2bbl and a 52mm tb with heads and cam, I was bottle necking the system with the 52mm/2bbl setup. Switched to the 4bbl and 55mm tb and BAM no longer producing vacuum at WOT which was around 6k.

If you guys are looking for bottom end torque, I would stick with the beer barrel intake, cut the runners and port match for a 52mm TB. The stock kegger is pretty good, just falls on it's face after 5300rpm, since they don't need the extra rpm, save some money and put it towards something else.
Huh. learn somethin new.

I call ******** on this tho.....try 3500! :flipthebird:

User

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 RC Black Express
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I call ******** on this tho.....try 3500! :flipthebird:
Actually, you're correct. Not sure why I said 5300, that's the M-1 2bbl from my 1st setup. Dyno showed that at 5300 RPM it was done with the 52mm tb.

Stock beer barrel intake is around 3500. Thanks for correcting that, and :flipthebird: you too. That's how we say hello down south.

O wait, you're a Texan too, so you know this already.

dodge dude94

Millennial Boomer
Reaction score
Ram Year
1998 Ram 1500
Engine
5.9 Magnum
Actually, you're correct. Not sure why I said 5300, that's the M-1 2bbl from my 1st setup. Dyno showed that at 5300 RPM it was done with the 52mm tb.

Stock beer barrel intake is around 3500. Thanks for correcting that, and :flipthebird: you too. That's how we say hello down south.

O wait, you're a Texan too, so you know this already.

Glad I could be of service. :favorites13:

And damn right! :flipthebird:

User

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 RC Black Express
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Just tryin to do mild build for decent price money rly not big deal. It's goin to b a street off-road daily driver. Was my buddy's truck that's passed away just trying get it running decent. I drive a 1000hp s10 twin turbo v6 on the street so I no its not goin to b the fastest thing just a stock motor is slow! Lol. I think good idea just do rockers and no cam cuz the heads don't flow the cfm as aftermarket

I'd just do the basic bolt-ons for now, until you're ready to drop the coin for cam/heads.

52mm tb
stock kegger port matched and cleaned up (saves you $400 minus machine work, unless you do it yourself.)
1.7 non adjustable roller rockers
headers
3" exhaust
CAI
Tuned
180 thermo
Autolite 3923s
MSD 6A
8mm plug wires I like Taylor and Firecore 50s. MSD wires, I have had bad luck with.

After doing this 3-4 times already, I learned to just save a **** ton of money and do everything at once, not 1 mod at a time, because you will end up changing other things out to help improve a new mod you added, so you're doing double work and wasting more money, it all boils down to what YOU want to do.

I haven't really checked this forums for sale section for 5.9 stuff, but I do know that you can find a lot of stuff here (see link below) everyday. you can find 1.7s roller rockers, intake manifolds, and pretty much the basics all day long.

Dakota R/T Club Forum

Last edited:
OP
OP
B

Bigred121787

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Ok good Advice yea I got the motor out on a eng stand and intake already off. I don't mind buyin stuff new goin to do most of the gaskets while its out looks like hav lil sepage Wats part # on a set of Taylor wires? Also wat disrb. Cap and rotor brand do u use ?