5.9 gen 2 performance upgrade.. Bang for the buck

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

DippinDudez

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I'm starting my first truck build. Mine is a Gen 2 '99 1500 Sport. I've done the CAT back exhaust and I'm really happy with the new sound!!! :naughty: Now I've caught the bug and I'm wanting my performance to match the look and sound! I'm wondering where the next place to spend money would be. CAI, Spacer on the intake, etc? Suggestions? I'm a noob, so ..... :)

More info about my truck.... Engines is completely stock 5.9L and I've already replaced the tranny at about 180K miles. I'm now approaching 225K.

Stegs

Reaction score
Ram Year
1998 Dodge Ram 1500 4x4
Engine
5.2L 318 C.I.
I'm starting my first truck build. Mine is a Gen 2 '99 1500 Sport. I've done the CAT back exhaust and I'm really happy with the new sound!!! :naughty: Now I've caught the bug and I'm wanting my performance to match the look and sound! I'm wondering where the next place to spend money would be. CAI, Spacer on the intake, etc? Suggestions? I'm a noob, so ..... :)

More info about my truck.... Engines is completely stock 5.9L and I've already replaced the tranny at about 180K miles. I'm now approaching 225K.

whats your budget?

best "bang for your buck" IMO is gears. Not cheap but for what you get out of it is awesome!

Ive done every upgrade except headers....by far i got the most improvement with new gears

3.55-4.56 made a night/day difference

If your thinking cheap....you would be surprised how nice your truck responds to a really good tune up with QUALITY PARTS!!

(hint on quality) Thats the best place to start! plugs/wires/cap/rotor/air filter

Id also suggest rotella synthetic blend with a napa gold filter. My truck runs so good with this oil/filter combo!

OP
OP
D

DippinDudez

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
whats your budget?

best "bang for your buck" IMO is gears. Not cheap but for what you get out of it is awesome!

Ive done every upgrade except headers....by far i got the most improvement with new gears

3.55-4.56 made a night/day difference

If your thinking cheap....you would be surprised how nice your truck responds to a really good tune up with QUALITY PARTS!!

(hint on quality) Thats the best place to start! plugs/wires/cap/rotor/air filter

Id also suggest rotella synthetic blend with a napa gold filter. My truck runs so good with this oil/filter combo!

My budget is $100 per month. I'd even be ok saving up for several months in order to complete each step. I guess I was hoping to hear that an intake spacer for under $100 would give me a noticeable boost. :favorites13: But if that's not the case I'm good with waiting it out for a better option. What brand gears do you run?

Merc225hp

Reaction score
Ram Year
truck
Engine
gas
For you other than dropping 2 g on gears lol, SCT tuner is your best bang the your money. TB spacer is a waste of cash so are most CAI's Spend some time reading threads in this forum there are lot's of performance tips in threads here to read.

A good read about intake manifolds for these motors. Testing intake manifolds for the 5.2 / 5.9 Magnum V8 engines

Last edited:

rowdyram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
magnum 5.9
I agree with merc. Get tuner first. CIA and spacers are crap.

Merc225hp

Reaction score
Ram Year
truck
Engine
gas
**** ops CIA should be CAI I can be dumb spelling somedays.

Stegs

Reaction score
Ram Year
1998 Dodge Ram 1500 4x4
Engine
5.2L 318 C.I.