5.9 magnum misfire cylinder#3 im lost

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Dee907

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 magnum
ok did a compression test did cap,rotor,wires,plugs ok this is what its doing at idle engine shakes driving doesnt shake get to around 50-55 starts to stumble give it more gas runs fine has power it set sense july with a 1/4 tank of gas i put fresh gas in it i changed to oil today and filter and added a bottle of engine restore seems to not shake as much as it did at first got it from a buddy of mine and i got it up on the lift and seen that someone put an after market cat on it and a muffler the exhaust out the pipe (rear) sounds like it pulsing ok now i go to floor it and the engine light starts to flash let off the gas and it stops flashing i checked the injector harness with a noid light and they are all fine getting power and all of them pulse has a dim light but when i give it a little gas they get brighter i checked the alternator and says 12.6 volts battery has 12.5 volts is this right or wrong on the alternator and battery it drives great except when u go 50-55 miles an hour it stumbles i also changed the pcv valve oh i forgot the coil pack too engine mounts are good one is brand new the other is great could it be the lifter stuck i know that dodge lifters like to stick i also hooked up the computer and it says misfire #3 cylinder but no engine light on so this is where im lost its a 1998 jeep limited with a 5.9L magnum milage is 186,000 but not sure if the engine has ever been changed or not has anyone else ever had this problem or like it please let me know any info would help thank u

OP
OP
D

Dee907

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 magnum
oh i also forgot i changed the head gasket and replaced the cylinder head on bank 2 passenger side

dodge dude94

Millennial Boomer
Reaction score
Ram Year
1998 Ram 1500
Engine
5.9 Magnum
First off, flush that engine restore out. That stuff will gum your engine up and **** you up in no time flat.

Secondly, what were the results of the compression test?

Thirdly, your alternator should be pushing out about 13.5-14 volts out to the battery and it should actually be readable at the battery as that voltage.

You could have anything from a bent pushrod, to a bad lifter, to a worn cam lobe, bad injector, etc.

OP
OP
D

Dee907

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 magnum
ok this wont be in order i know lol this is one at a time taking a plug out and full open throttle plates took out fuel relay and coil wire first one i did was #4 cause i was told that had low compression when i got it turns out that was wrong ok here goes
#4/ 145 psi
#2/ 142 psi
#6/ 133 psi
#8/ 120 psi
#1/ 162 psi
#3/ 149 psi
#5/ 170 psi
#7/ 165 psi

this is warmed up for 5 minutes and dry test i have the dealer book and it says minimum is 100 psi well im above that is that correct? oh and no oil at all on the plugs still look clean like new clean

OP
OP
D

Dee907

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 magnum
also how the heck do u get the lifters out theres not enough room they hit the head does the heads have to come off???

Merc225hp

Reaction score
Ram Year
truck
Engine
gas
Typical to see #8 very low. If those numbers are after the new head was put on you have another bad head or bad compression rings. 100 psi is min spec but you have quite a big difference between the numbers and that is not good at all.

The heads do not have to come off to change the lifters, there is just enough room to get them out.

OP
OP
D

Dee907

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 magnum
ok but arent the numbers within spec?

dodge dude94

Millennial Boomer
Reaction score
Ram Year
1998 Ram 1500
Engine
5.9 Magnum
Yeah, but they're all fairly far apart. They need to be within 10psi of each other I'm thinking.

OP
OP
D

Dee907

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 magnum
man i hate this jeep lol nothing but problems sense i got it ok so now i took it out agian and floored it no flashing engine light weird did it a few times now im getting a soft code for the stupid gas needle p0463 problem after problem i swear its a headache about to send it to its grave its nice and that what sucks and clean but im tired of it already and my stupid truck too first start all it does is burn oil and then goes away after it starts to warm up no way its valve seals already replaced them still does it starting to think these 360 engines are really junk or dodge used some cheap ass parts in them sense it was the last years of them well for my 2001 dodge ram anyways lol might as well be a chevy hahahahah

OP
OP
D

Dee907

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 magnum
well no misfire on 3 no more but still shakes at idle i changed the tps sensor and iac valve and the throttle body with one i had laying around and still does the samething so i guess its the engine its self so long jeep see u in the after life lol

OP
OP
D

Dee907

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 magnum
ok so now yesterday my scanner says it is 1 and 3 cylinder misfire and a random misfire which i believe is because there are 2 or more misfires but i cant figure out whats causing it would it be the cam sensor in the distributor housing or a crank sensor going bad ????

OP
OP
D

Dee907

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 magnum
jeep has been sold thank u everyone for the info