5.9 Magnum will not run right

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

RedDodge

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 Magnum
Hello all, I have been a long time reader but this is my first time posting.
I have a 2000 Ram 1500 with a 5.9L Magnum engine. The truck is a 4x4 automatic trans with 214XXX miles on it. It will start up and idle just fine on the initial start-up, but as soon as I start driving down the road it will bog like it is starving for fuel. When I come up to a stop the RPMs will drop to anywhere between 300 and 500 and then shoot back up to regular idle at about 650 when I come to a complete stop. Recently, it has also intermittently started backfiring out of the manifold under load, however it doesn't always do this.
I have replaced the TPS, the IAC, the MAF, the throttle body, redone all of the gaskets on the manifold, including the plenum, also replaced the water pump and thermostat while I had it torn apart. It has a brand new cap, rotor, plugs, wires, and ignition coil as well. I will be replacing the O2 sensors as soon as I get my new exhaust in, hopefully this weeked. When it originally started losing power it seemed like a plugged up cat, so I deleted it and am putting in a flowmaster high flow cat with new O2 sensors.

On a side note, I've read that backfiring out of the tb can indicate a lean condition, is that correct? I also pulled all of my plugs and they where bone dry and white.

Anybody with any ideas of what could be causing this would be greatly appreciated!

SYKRAMMAN

Banned
Reaction score
Ram Year
06 Mega
Engine
Might have skipped a tooth or two, have you tried advancing the timing a smidge?

OP
OP
R

RedDodge

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 Magnum
I was under the impression that timing on these engines could not be changed without a PCM tuner... is this not correct?

SYKRAMMAN

Banned
Reaction score
Ram Year
06 Mega
Engine
I very well could be wrong and I'm sure I'll be corrected but if you have a distributor then you can turn it slightly to either advance or retard the timing. But if it jumped teeth then it's going to need some work on the timing system to get you going again. I.e. New sprockets, chain(s), tensioner, etc.

Last edited:
OP
OP
R

RedDodge

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 Magnum
All right, thank you I’ll look into that if the O2 sensors don’t solve my lean problem. Also, I forgot to mention once I get at 3000 RPM‘s opens up and runs like a champ

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Gr8bawana

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 CTD
I very well could be wrong and I'm sure I'll be corrected but if you have a distributor then you can turn it slightly to either advance or retard the timing. But if it jumped teeth then it's going to need some work on the timing system to get you going again. I.e. New sprockets, chain(s), tensioner, etc.

They are PCM controlled for timing. There is no adjusting at the distributor.

SYKRAMMAN

Banned
Reaction score
Ram Year
06 Mega
Engine
Yeah umm now I'm stumped, if it was a timing issue then it would be rough throughout the rpm's. You said you don't have a cat anymore?

OP
OP
R

RedDodge

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 Magnum
At the moment no, but it was bogging before I cut it out to try and fix it. Like I said I’ll be putting a full exhaust with new O2 sensors on this weekend.

SYKRAMMAN

Banned
Reaction score
Ram Year
06 Mega
Engine
wait n see what some other folks have to say, you'll get it figured out soon with the knowledge of the members. Gl.

bulrid8

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Have you checked fuel pressure? Could be a pump going bad. Need to check at idle and under load.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

OP
OP
R

RedDodge

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 Magnum
I checked at idle when it first started doing it, I don’t remember the value but I believe it was in normal range. What’s the best way to test under load?

OP
OP
R

RedDodge

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 Magnum
Rest of my exhaust is in today, planning on installing it tomorrow and I’ll check the fuel pressure when I do that. I’ll let y’all know the results. Thanks for the help so far guys!

bulrid8

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Check it at idle and then rev it up to 2000 rpms. See if it drops off.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

OP
OP
R

RedDodge

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 Magnum
So new exhaust is in, shorty headers flowmaster cat and cherrybomb extreme duals. Also put new o2 sensors in and swapped the plugs, so far so good no stumbling or stalling!

dudeman2009

Reaction score
Ram Year
2001 1500 Sport with enough electrical modifications to make my brain hurt
Engine
Magnum 360
So new exhaust is in, shorty headers flowmaster cat and cherrybomb extreme duals. Also put new o2 sensors in and swapped the plugs, so far so good no stumbling or stalling!

Glad to hear you got it sorted!

OP
OP
R

RedDodge

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 Magnum
Take it back, drove it around more and it is not fixed. With new o2 sensors continues giving P0132 code and still chugging and bogging occasionally. Currently testing the circuit for the o2 sensor wiring, any other ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Danno

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 Power Wagon
Engine
Let's think about this, runs fine with no load. Start driving apply load seems like it is starving for fuel. Is there a serviceable fuel filter? Think about it, maybe google. No its a sock on the fuel pump. Where would the fuel pump be? Maybe in the tank in the fuel tank. You got it, start there....

OP
OP
R

RedDodge

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 Magnum
That is where I'm looking next because I'm running out of ideas, but if it was the fuel pump then why would it wake up after I got it up over 3000 rpms? I'm just confused about that part, but ill be looking at the fuel pump hopefully this weekend anyway. Thanks.

MTBrian

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L Gas
Curious was it the fuel pump? I’m in the same boat you were with my truck. I’m at my wits end.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NeedHead