5.9 Manual Conversion?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

bluwarguy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 Magnum V8
I'm anticipating the eventual failure of my 46RE (not that there's anything wrong with it now, but nothing lasts forever)
and I was wondering if it's possible to use the 5-speed manual transmissions from the 5.2 and convert my truck to use that instead of a new automatic.

Is it cheaper than fixing/getting a new automatic?

dudeman2009

Reaction score
Ram Year
2001 1500 Sport with enough electrical modifications to make my brain hurt
Engine
Magnum 360
Yes its possible. You will probably throw all kinds of codes from the PCM, if you're going to have it tuned that won't really be an issue. Just make sure that if you have 4wd you get a trans from a 4wd, if you have 2wd you'll need to get one from a 2wd vehicle.

As for cost, you can rebuild the automatic yourself for about $600 and have a pretty good trans after that. If you pay someone, expect at least $1800. I haven't priced it out, but a few years ago when I was still taking diesel classes, one of the guys there bought a cummins with a bad trans and put a manual on it. He spent a little over $700 by the time he was done (not including the truck), but he rebuilt the manual before putting it in, he might have regeared the rear end as well, I don't quite remember.

The hardest part will be disconnecting and reconnecting the trans to the engine, unless you pull it. If you decide to do it in the truck, pull the intake and valve covers, it makes life so much easier.

dapepper9

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L V8
5.2 5pd is an nv3500 and not really all that strong. Some guys put em behind the 360s with a bit more power and they don't last as long as the autos even. Shaft snappage lol. On a stock engine they're fine but not much more.

You would need the trans, 360 weighted flywheel, clutch ***** cylinder and all that jazz, pcm for 2500/360/5spd or ground the neutral safety and pedals. Should be a plate in the floor that can be removed but if not its not hard to cut one. Easier to get a 4x4 trans if you have a 4x4 because of transfer case splines

texasrebel

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 Magnum
I've been curious of this as well. What about the NV4500? Will it work? I also have the 360.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk

dapepper9

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L V8
I've been curious of this as well. What about the NV4500? Will it work? I also have the 360.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk

Nv4500 was found behind the 360 in 2500/3500 trucks. Different bellhousing, input shaft and bearing than the cummins/v10 trucks but it's definitely do-able